farmall h backfire

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

farmall h backfire

Postby pokitisme » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 pm

didnt have my farmall h 48 running for about 6-7 months..started it a few days ago and it idled ok.tried to take it for a spin today and got lots of backfires and mostly died on very slight grade..when on flat ground it would move k but still wanted to die.have noticed the accelerator needs to be up a lot more than normal and still does not produce the power it should have...did a quick search on backfires and it says bad gap on spark plugs and unburnt fuel.im thinking i need to wire brush the plugs...i dont know why gap would change from last use and accurately measured gap...unless carbon buildup.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: farmall h backfire

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 pm

It can't hurt to clean and inspect the spark plugs. A quick pass of a point file (not abrasive paper) through the points can't hurt either. However, my hunch is a sticking valve or two.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Jim pretty much covered it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pokitisme
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Postby pokitisme » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 am

thanks guys...but what would cause a valve to stick...and is there a "wonder fluid" that would help fix it..like sea foam
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”