Locked up engine

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Locked up engine

Postby pokitisme » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:50 pm

You know I see lots of post from people on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist about them selling tractors with locked up ancients a lot of times they will say it ran fine last year. A lot of times they will say it's been sitting all summer and winter. So what I am curious about from you knowledgeable folk. Is this. What are some causes for an engine to lock up within a year or two period.. I know the standard stuff like no oil or overheating but what are other reasons. And is repairing that as simple as removing the Pistons and piston sleeves to possibly fix that issue within the Pistons.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Donegal Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Locked up engine

Postby Donegal Cub » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Lots of reasons for engine seizures. The most common one is moisture, which can come from condensation, sitting unused for too long or water entering from vacant plug holes or getting in through an uncovered upright exhaust pipe, or worst of all engine overheating, or cracked by frost. Others will chime in with more reasons for engine locks. Repair can vary widely and be costly :roll: .
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:43 pm

In addition to Bernard's comments the old Farmalls have a tendency for the starter drive (Bendix), and the flywheel ring gear to blunt the end of the teeth and jam together locking the engine. This can v=be tested by loosening the starter mounting bolts a turn or two and wiggling the starter to see if that solves it. Frequently the problem can be cleared by putting transmission in 5th gear (ignition off) and vigorously rocking a rear wheel forward and backward.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Biggest reason for lockups is the alki gas that we are forced to use nowdays. These old engines will not tolerate that corrosive crap sitting in them. I currently have a cub that locked up and it been sitting for 2 years. Last time I used it I had alki gas in it. I only use this tractor as a sickle mower tractor, which I now will have to take off and see if there is any hope for the cub. That will be a job! I imagine the alki had the rings and pistons ruined, if that be the case then this tractor will be junked. I can't afford to do re-builds anymore. thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Bernard and John have you pretty well covered on the main reasons engines get locked up.

3rd reason, letting the tractor set without periodically turning the engine over to keep it free.
pokitisme wrote:A lot of times they will say it's been sitting all summer and winter.
Absolutely the truth. But the sell did not say how long it had been setting before last summer and winter. Judge Judy calls that puffing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Postby pokitisme » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:39 am

What I've been doing is periodically going out and turning the fan blade by hand making sure the belt turns the pulley...as I don't have a battery ATM I try to cycle the Pistons back and forth to try to lubricate them a bit..tell me if that sounds like a good idea...seems to me a periodic up and down of the Pistons by hand would possibly prevent seizure...
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 pm

pokitisme wrote:I try to cycle the Pistons back and forth to try to lubricate them a bit..tell me if that sounds like a good idea...seems to me a periodic up and down of the Pistons by hand would possibly prevent seizure...
I have my grandfather's 1936 WC Allis Chalmers in storage. Runs but I haven't started it in years. Every so often I hand crank the engine over an odd number plus a fraction of complete revolutions. The odd number plus a fraction of revolutions is to prevent the pistons from sitting in the same/previous location.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:34 am

pokitisme wrote:What I've been doing is periodically going out and turning the fan blade by hand making sure the belt turns the pulley...as I don't have a battery ATM I try to cycle the Pistons back and forth to try to lubricate them a bit..tell me if that sounds like a good idea...seems to me a periodic up and down of the Pistons by hand would possibly prevent seizure...

It sounds like your tractor is in a "storage mode". There is a section of the manual dedicated to the storage of equipment. Probably would be worth a read over as there are several items that need to be prepared for extended storage.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade