This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Govenor Issues

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dlazyh
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 59330
Tractors Owned: IHC 350U

Govenor Issues

Postby dlazyh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks for the ad. this is my 1st post.

For the last couple of years, my 350U (Ser# 12324) struggled like the carburetor was out of adjustment and probably in dire need of an overhaul. Just not getting any rpm out of the engine! So the other day, I figured it was time to pull the carburetor. And because of all the close clearances on the back side I wasn't able to remove the bolts to the carb. And in the meantime, I removed the bolts to the throttle shaft housing and loosened the connection between the carb and the governor housing. When I was getting ready to disconnect the fuel line, I discovered the fuel valve was nearly shutoff at the fuel bowl. So I put it all back together, but came another issue. the one I'm having now. The engine starts, but I have no throttle control and the engine runs at a really high speed, (the tach doesn't work btw). Is there a chance that the throttle shaft connecting to the carburetor isn't lining up with the cam to the throttle butterfly? I have a the I&T Shop manual and it shows that I should need to get into the governor housing to make some adjustments there. Is it possible when I removed the Throttle shaft housing, something inside sprung back and needs to be reset? I might be answering my own questions, but I would like to verify before I get into it anymore....frustrating!! :?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Govenor Issues

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 am

The throttle shaft from the governor to the carburetor engages the carburetor with a pin/key sort of thing. I forgot the exact arrangement. You can see the shaft (item 21) here;
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 29ar285505
When you had the throttle shaft housing loose, that link probably disengaged or got reconnected in the wrong position. If you unbolt that housing again and look closely at the connection, you can probably see how to get it back in position.

dlazyh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dlazyh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi Jim. The pin on the throttle shaft has rectangular shape and from the looks of it, it won't fit into the cam on the throttle (butterfly) shaft. If you have a TC-57A International 300-350 Parts catalog(pdf), on page 57, item 14, there is a similar and maybe a better picture of the cam than from your parts link. Unfortunately, my pdf doesn't have the correct picture of the carburetor, (yours is better). The slot in the cam is 90 degrees off, so I'm guessing the pin rides on the outside of the cam, (which seems odd too).
I'll take another look at it tomorrow and hopefully come up with a solution. Thank for your advise, Jim.

dlazyh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dlazyh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 pm

At various times (work in progress) I'm still working on the same (almost issue)....I've figured out how the throttle shaft connects to the carburetor and have managed to get the tractor to low idle and run at a high idle. But for some reason the connecting rod and the adjusting block will not return to the idle position. However I can manually move it with my fingers back to low idle, (meanwhile engine oil is pumping out the governor housing :lol: ). My question is this...Because I unbolted the Throttle housing shaft from the carb and the upper governor housing, should I be treating this as an "install" as mentioned in the 1st page, 4th para. of the attached instruction file?

U350 Governor.pdf
(96.74 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:52 pm

I wouldn't think that at this point you should have to start from scratch and reinstall the governor. With the control handle set at low speed, the spinning governor weights should push on the lever(6) so it pulls the connecting rod(7) to the throttle shaft down. If the connecting rod remains free to move, it would seem that something is loose in the connections from the adjusting block(19) through the rockshaft lever(6). If not that, something in the weights, sleeve, thrust bearing assembly(1,4,5) is binding or stuck preventing it from pushing the throttle closed.

dlazyh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dlazyh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Everything appears to be lose. As demonstrated in the video, I am able to manipulate the adjusting block with just a push of my finger and also move the rockshaft lever into high idle. the rockshaft lever will not return to low idle until I reset the adjusting block. It seems that the adjusting block flips over too far, going past (center or balance) the throttle shaft and won't return.

Long shot waste of time but I even went as far as backing off the idle stop screw and speed adjusting screw.

this is the 1st time using dropbox to share anything, so I hope someone gets sees the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kog9psokkj5it ... 5.wmv?dl=0

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:23 pm

It looks like you are moving the adjusting block sideways. It should be moving mainly up and down. Are you sure you have the throttle rod properly engaged at the carburetor end? If it isn't properly engaged, you probably have the rod in the wrong orientation.

dlazyh
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dlazyh » Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 am

A BIG THANK YOU, JIM!! That was the problem. Somehow when attaching the throttle shaft to the carburetor, the adjusting block flipped up. As soon as I removed the bolts holding the shaft to the carb and gov housing, and giving it a little wiggle, the block dropped and the connecting rod sits in a more stable position.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”