This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bought a 2 row corn picker!

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Bought a 2 row corn picker!

Postby Super A » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Went to Red Power Roundup in WI, traveled a couple more hours north from the show and picked up this IH 2MH corn picker! This is one of the items on my IH bucket list. Gonna be fun as soon as I get it off the trailer.....

Al

Thank goodness for Bobcats.......
picker 1.jpg

picker 2.jpg

Easing into position......The Bobcat held the picker up and I backed the trailer under it.
picker 3.jpg

Home sweet home in Richlands, NC-17 hours later!
picker 4.jpg
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Bought a 2 row corn picker!

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Al I saw this on your Facebook. Is this one of those units that you attach/convert to an H/M?
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:18 pm

havoc1482 wrote:...... Is this one of those units that you attach/convert to an H/M?
I'm not a corn pickin expert but I seem to recall that they "attach". But it takes hours to do it and the tractor is pretty much "in there somewhere" when you're done. They will fit on either a Farmall H or a Farmall M but it really swallows the H and takes every bit of power the H has to run the picker and be able to move the tractor, which is carrying this monster on it's back, plus pulling the wagon, and don't forget all that corn you pick has to go somewhere. Yep, into the wagon to add even more weight. Hope your corn field doesn't have much of a down hill slope if you're expecting those H brakes to bring this freight train to a halt. :shock:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:18 am

Congratulations on getting your corn picker and making it home safely. That'll take some time to restore. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:47 am

Scrivet wrote:
havoc1482 wrote:...... Is this one of those units that you attach/convert to an H/M?
I'm not a corn pickin expert but I seem to recall that they "attach". But it takes hours to do it and the tractor is pretty much "in there somewhere" when you're done. They will fit on either a Farmall H or a Farmall M but it really swallows the H and takes every bit of power the H has to run the picker and be able to move the tractor, which is carrying this monster on it's back, plus pulling the wagon, and don't forget all that corn you pick has to go somewhere. Yep, into the wagon to add even more weight. Hope your corn field doesn't have much of a down hill slope if you're expecting those H brakes to bring this freight train to a halt. :shock:

Thanks for the encouragement. Havoc you are right. The smallest letter series tractor the 2MH will fit is a M. A 300-350-460 will carry it if the tractor has heavy duty axles. This one has M/Super M brackets for it. I have to do some research, it might fit a 400-450 without fast hitch, but I want a Super M for it unless I can find a really nice late M. When it's all said and done (and this will be a long term project) the tractor will live under the picker most of the time except when it has to be serviced. There were never many 2 row pickers of any kind in my part of eastern NC which is one of the reasons I have wanted one for a while.

Looks like the hardest part is getting the stuff on the tractor before you hook up the picker. The rockshaft that mounts under the belly is heavy.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:34 pm

Super A wrote:....... The smallest letter series tractor the 2MH will fit is a M. A 300-350-460 will carry it if the tractor has heavy duty axles........
Are you sure it won't fit on a Farmall H? Reasoning #1 It's called a 2MH which with a lot of other implements means it fits both. I have a set of HM-221 cultivators that will go on either a H or M. (Maybe the letters being reversed mean something else?) Reason #2 If yours fits a 300; the 300 replaced the Super H, which replaced the H.

Regardless, I think your idea of a Super M is the best choice. I wish you lots of luck, few twisted off bolts, having or finding all the pieces, and offer my encouragement to keep at it. All I would like in return is for you to keep posting great pictures along the way. :D

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Guys over at Red Power say the bare minimum for that picker is a standard M. It will also work on the 350 (with heavy duty axle), 460 (with heavy duty axle), up to 806. Probably an 856 too
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Scrivet wrote:
Super A wrote:....... The smallest letter series tractor the 2MH will fit is a M. A 300-350-460 will carry it if the tractor has heavy duty axles........
Are you sure it won't fit on a Farmall H? Reasoning #1 It's called a 2MH which with a lot of other implements means it fits both. I have a set of HM-221 cultivators that will go on either a H or M. (Maybe the letters being reversed mean something else?) Reason #2 If yours fits a 300; the 300 replaced the Super H, which replaced the H.

Regardless, I think your idea of a Super M is the best choice. I wish you lots of luck, few twisted off bolts, having or finding all the pieces, and offer my encouragement to keep at it. All I would like in return is for you to keep posting great pictures along the way. :D

Don't know where the H came from in the model designation, the previous model was the 2ME, before that was the 2M. I don't think either will fit the H, they made a much lighter 24 that would fit an H, and I think there was another light 2 row model for a H. But the 2MH was the "Cadillac" of pickers at the time and was intended for the larger tractors. By the time you get to a 300/350 they nearly had the HP of an early M, and they were longer than an H because of the TA housing. But the book specifies the heavy duty rear axle on the 300-350-460 and I expect they'd be pretty marginal HP wise.

Looks like so far I'm missing one small piece of tin and a gathering chain. Also afraid the serial number tag is gone, but I can survive without it.....

First feat of strength will be getting it off the trailer. THen I guess I need to find a tractor for it..... the horror! :wink:

Al

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah, nothing smaller than a 300 or M. That beast weighs nearly 2 tons.

That picker required a specific completing package to mount it on the various model tractors. Do you know what the picker was previously mounted on? If not, look at the mounting instructions in the Owner's Manual to try to figure it out. Going with the same may save you some problems.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Yeah, nothing smaller than a 300 or M. That beast weighs nearly 2 tons.

That picker required a specific completing package to mount it on the various model tractors. Do you know what the picker was previously mounted on? If not, look at the mounting instructions in the Owner's Manual to try to figure it out. Going with the same may save you some problems.

It came off a M, so a M or Super M will work.

Al

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Super A I may have a set of rear axle mounting brackets for a 2row picker at the barn. Will let you know. Red
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:29 pm

All, I can't seem to send a reply to your last PM. I'll get a picture of the snout, but if you could PM your e-mail, I'll get use myson or daughters computer to send it to you. John

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:03 pm

tinnerjohn wrote:All, I can't seem to send a reply to your last PM. I'll get a picture of the snout, but if you could PM your e-mail, I'll get use myson or daughters computer to send it to you. John

John, PM sent.

Al

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”