This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New old IHC 404 owner with questions

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LaRob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70508

New old IHC 404 owner with questions

Postby LaRob » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 am

I just signed up after it was recommended from a member of a gardening forum and I'm blown away at the amount of information. I think I'll be here bugging everyone for a while. I'm a retired Navy Seabee, Construction Mechanic so I have no problem tearing things apart and working on anything. and I just tore the tractor apart to see what I needed to get it running right.

I bought an IHC 404 about 1.5 years ago with the intentions of fixing it up and also using it to garden, as life never stops it's been sitting out and I haven't touched it till now. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it except it needed some work on the carb but he was using it to grade the gravel road he lived on and to bushhog a few acres a few times a year but bought another tractor with a live pto so I got it and the bushhog for 1400. I used it a few times last year to bushhog and it ran but needed carb work bad so I just parked it. I looked all over the internet to find the model and year and to the best of info available it's a 1962 IHC 404, the serial number is 1626 J. From reading here and a few other sites I know it has a C-135 engine, 4 speed tranny, 3 pt hitch, aux hyd hookups and no power sterring. Here's some pics that might help confirm it

OK so here is how I got to this point, Sunday I walked by the tractor and it was leaking from the carb so I took it off to rebuild, then I noticed rust and a small hole in the intake manifold where water has been sitting. Apparently rainwater enters the exhaust pipe. So now I'm thinking I might have vavle/cylinder damage so now I pull the hood to check the head and ended up with just pistons and the crank in the block. I did have 1 sticking valve on that cylinder but it can be fixed easy enough, I'm now searching for a head gasket kit. Here's some questions I have.
Where's the best place to buy engine parts from?
Where can I get a manual for this model, I noticed that some are selling on Ebay but it includes about 5 other models, is this the only SM they put out?
Should I restore the tractor to original or upgrade everything?
I could convert the oil bath air cleaner to a filter, has anybody found the easiest way to do that?
I could also replace the generator with an alternator, upgrade all the wiring, install new lights and the list goes on but since I plan on keeping it as a working tractor I want it run run and easy to maintain.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New old IHC 404 owner with questions

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:20 am

I get most of my tractor parts from the local auto parts store. Anything unusual, from the Case/IH dealership. If you have a New Holland dealership near by, you can get IH parts, if you have the IH part number.

Air cleaner. The oil bath is quite acceptable. I wouldn't convert to the air filter type.

Single wire alternator conversion is usually easily completed. My opinion, well worth it.

As a working tractor, I wouldn't try to up grade or return to original, show room condition, just keep it functional.

The exhaust portion of the manifold usually has a small hole in the bottom to let rain water drain out.
I have an excuse. CRS.

LaRob
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LaRob » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks, I just called a local parts house that also has a head shop for the gasket set, it was cheaper than anything online and it will be here tomorrow.

Interesting about a hole in the manifold to drain water but it seems like that's asking for trouble for that exhaust valve and I guess my plan to install a real muffler to quiet it down some won't work with that hole making noise. maybe I can drill, tap it and install a plug to seal it. The reason I'm doing this is I have this idea that I can reroute the exhaust, install a small car muffler and ride around with very little noise. Will it work? Will baffling the exhaust cut down on power enough to make it useless?

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Get the proper muffler and a rain cap. Trust me it'll quite it down quite a bit. We have 2 Hs (which have C-152s, bigger motors), one with a muffler, one without and the muffler through the hood is very tolerable. Tractor Supply typically carries the right mufflers and rain caps, just make sure the diameter of the rain-cap and muffler match up. For example, my Tractor Supply has a small section in a aisle with different mufflers and a book for finding the proper one, much like an autoparts store filter look up.

Also pick up the I&T Shop Manual. I believe the proper one for you is version IH-201. Tractor Supply should also have this.

As for your exhaust idea, no it won't cut down on power. These engines run at a low enough RPM were exhaust back-pressure isn't a factor.

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

LaRob
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LaRob » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks, I didn't even think about the right muffler making a big difference but anything would be better than the straight pipe that's on there now.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:24 pm

yeah, the proper muffler diameter and length is what you are looking for. You can always go bigger than what's required if the pipe diameter matches, but then it just becomes a matter of annoyance having a large fat pipe in your face lol.

To add to what Eugene said about looks of the tractor, it all comes down to personal preference. I like to keep mine pretty looking. I touch up areas with rattlecan versions of the proper colors to prevent corrosion and keep me happy. Its a working tractor so its nothing perfect but it gives it a good character. Loved and worked hard.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Keep in mind that the Farmall 404 is a fairly rare model (as I recall, fewer than 3,000 built). You may want to make sure that any modifications you make are easily reversible.

LaRob
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LaRob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Can somebody help me with this governor, I'm waiting for the book to come in but trying to get a few things done in the meantime. I searched for info on this governor and haven't found anything. It has some slack when I move the carburetor rod and I want to tackle this while it's apart. What governor is this? Here's a few pictures to help.

LaRob
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby LaRob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:05 pm

And Thanks Jim, I'll try to keep it original as much as possible.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:35 pm

My 404 is the low utility model and has power steering! ---Its easy to drive and get on/off , I think there were several versions of the 404 from what I see,--Don't know the production #'s of each version! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”