This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A battery box questions

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
49willard
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 04079

Postby 49willard » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:40 pm

I am being told that to install a battery in the factory box (which I don't have yet) by design you have to R & R the battery box WITH the battery in the box, true? I am also told the the original battery box for both the Super A and C DID NOT have removable side panels, also true? The only "hole" in the boxes sold for my tractor when mounted is up high forward on the right side of the tractor. On my Cub the ground is through the battery box with a short ground cable bolted to the side of the box. How is the ground set up on the Super A? I tried to find online pix showing the ground without any luck.
Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Super A battery box questions

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:37 pm

I think the battery box designs changed, and the later ones has removable sides.

Fairly sure my Super A has removable sides.
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:32 pm

The original Super A box was one piece. I'm pretty sure the later ones had a 2 or 3 piece box. But my 1/54 revision of the parts catalog only shows the one piece. The later style had two side pieces and a front that was only used if the tractor didn't have Touch-Control. The later style can be seen in the model 100 parts catalog. The one piece required removing the box to get the battery out. I think the later ones can be done by removing one side. We always removed to the right, which required unhooking a couple control rods and holding the clutch pedal down. I don't know if you could remove to the left (you definitely could not on the A/B). I think the fender would be in the way.

The notch/hole in the right front of the box is for the negative cable to the starter. The ground cable is very short, about 6 inches. It is fastened with one of the bolts that goes through the back side of the box and into the instrument panel. So the cable never actually leaves the box.

49willard
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby 49willard » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:20 pm

I have been told that to remove the battery on a Super A it is necessary to R & R the battery WITH THE BOX, true? I also have been told that the correct original battery box on a Super A DOES NOT have removable side panels, also true? Given that the battery boxes sold for a Super A only have one opening for cable(S) in the right front corner of the box, do both the + and the - battery cables come through the same hole? Any help much appreciated.
Bill

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 pm

This question was answered after you asked it the first time. A moderator has moved that thread to the proper forum (Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140).
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=114449&p=911859#p911859

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:00 pm

Hi,
Jim posted info before I did, here is more in the manuals if you want it.

The Super A operator's manual has a wiring diagram in it, it looks like in the pic that the original battery ground attaches inside the battery box, similar to how the 6 volt Cubs are.
It looks like 1 cable comes out of the box, the cable to the starter.
Below is the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2044.jpg

The Super A parts manual shows the battery box, it says the earlier tractors had a 1 piece box, with a removable top. I guess IH changed to a box with removable sides at the serial number shown in the description.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... %20133.jpg

Maybe someone that has a Super A will post some pics. :)

49willard
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby 49willard » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:02 am

Jim Becker wrote:This question was answered after you asked it the first time. A moderator has moved that thread to the proper forum (Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140).
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=114449&p=911859#p911859

Ah,I did not realize that my original posted question had been moved, I thought that I failed to properly submit the posting. Thanks for the clarification.
Bill

49willard
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby 49willard » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:10 am

Sam, Jim and Glen,
Thanks for your responses. It all makes good sense. I will order a 1 piece box since my serial # says 1 piece. I had to R & R just the battery alone (sans box) as posted by Jim.
Bill

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:39 pm

Ground cable: I don't have a photo handy, but I have never been a fan of the short cable attached to the inside of the box. What I did on one of my tractors was carefully cut a small notch out of the bottom of the box, just behind the left rear mounting bracket. Then I ordered a long flat braided ground strap and fed it through the slit. Once I had the battery and box on the tractor (which borderline requires you to be an octopus with super-human strength) I removed the left rear bracket that is bolted to the torque tube, cleaned the area behind it, and mounted the end of the ground strap behind the bracket. A 1/4 drive socket with a universal joint on it makes the job much easier.

The whole thing might be unnecessary but I feel like it gives a more reliable ground.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:45 pm

My 100 has a two piece box. Not sure if it's because I have a 12V battery but getting everything in there was a PITA. I understand wanting it to be correct but since you're adding the valves for power angle you may just want to do the multiple piece box as it is easier to deal with IMHO since it is kind of a "modernized" working tractor. Plus if you go 12V sometime not sure the single piece box will work well (maybe I'm wrong ad I've never messed with it).
Shawn Agne

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”