This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to this: '47 Farmall A throttle issue

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Petermac7644
Zip Code: E6L
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall A
Circle of Safety: Y

New to this: '47 Farmall A throttle issue

Postby Petermac7644 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:06 am

Hello,

I acquired a '47 A a year ago. Love it. I hilled potatoes with it all summer. Now I've got an plow blade on it. It'll push a good amount of snow.

The tractor starts easy and Idles. I can't seem to run it at half throttle. I idle it for a bit after startup and then move the throttle quickly to wide open. It will run that way. Moving the throttle anywhere in-between kills the motor most of the time. I've been able to slowly move it up to about 1/3rd throttle. Behaves the same after it's been snow plowing for an hour.

I have a new reproduction marvel shebler style carb on it. It was Zenith originally but I couldn't get the jets out to clean them. Rebuilding that carb is on my to-do list. The one I bought looks like the distillate option with the main jet adjustment.

I've fiddled with the screws probably more than I should. It was idling rough and I adjusted what I thought was the idle screw but now looking at the manual I think it was the main jet.

Just looking for some advice on what to troubleshoot.

Since I've owned it I put the new carb on and replaced fluids and spark plugs. I'm not the entire way through the 'what to do when I first get tractor' list but I'm getting there. I get about a half turn out of the steering wheel before the worm gear engages and the manifold is pretty rough looking... I'm having fun wrenching on it.

Here's a pic from installing the plow

plow.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: New to this: '47 Farmall A throttle issue

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:04 am

Lubricate all of the pivot points in the throttle linkage system, including any on the governor. Work the linkage back and forth until it moves smoothly. Check for any place where it may be bent or binding.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:31 am

I agree with Don. It sounds as if the governor is not responding. Get the linkage all moving fee and smooth like he said. I would also adjust the linkage between the carb and the governor per the manual - especially since you have replaced the carb.

If it starts, idles, and will run at full throttle it does not sound like the carb.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Petermac7644

Postby Petermac7644 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:28 pm

I hit the governor with PB blaster on Wednesday. Plowed snow Friday and it worked a lot better. Today I took a stab at adjusting the connecting rod to the carb. I don’t have enough adjustment on the connecting rod yoke to synchronize them but I got it as close as I could. We’ll see if that makes a difference - more snow on the way Tuesday. Many thanks for the advice.

Peter

RRicks1970
Zip Code: 32052

Postby RRicks1970 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:34 pm

My Super A I bought had the touchiest throttle. I had to slowly accelerate or decelerate to keep it from wanting to die. Turns out somewhere in its 70 years of farming someone pulled the weights out of the distributor. I installed an updated distributor and now it responds like a champ. Just gotta do some filing on those throttle plate notches to keep the arm from slipping.

Petermac7644

Postby Petermac7644 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:13 pm

We got about 6 inches of heavy wet snow. Went out today after having adjusted the connecting rod. I'm only getting about half throttle when I push the throttle lever to wide open. I can pull back on the connecting rod by hand and get it to rev up but then the governor pulls it back on me. With the engine off and the the throttle lever pushed forward, the connecting rod moves all the way back. Any tips on how to adjust it so I get more RPMs at full throttle?

Another issue I had today was the tractor surging under load. I put it away and finished up with the ATV.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:23 pm

Lube ALL the throttle linkage pivot points, again. From the throttle lever to the governor. Recheck the governor to carb rod adjustment, again. If you don’t have enough adjustment in the existing rod, replace it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:31 pm

Petermac7644 wrote: I'm only getting about half throttle when I push the throttle lever to wide open. I can pull back on the connecting rod by hand and get it to rev up but then the governor pulls it back on me. With the engine off and the the throttle lever pushed forward, the connecting rod moves all the way back. Any tips on how to adjust it so I get more RPMs at full throttle?

How do you know your not running at rated rpm?

Did you hook some sort of tachometer up?

Those ole engines were slow runners!
Rated engine rpm's is listed at 1400.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/8/285-farmall-a-engine.html

The serial number tag under the seat has the max rpm listed.

Seems as if I remember right my super A is 1815 rated rpm
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Petermac7644

Postby Petermac7644 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi - no I haven't measured RPMs. I'm just basing it on videos I've seen of other A's and going by the sound of the engine and tractor speed. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong about it being too slow. Ground speed could be due to tire size mine are 8.3x24.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”