Super A1 Hydraulic fluid

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stellafarmall
Zip Code: 28582

Super A1 Hydraulic fluid

Postby stellafarmall » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm

Friends,
Thanks again for all your advice on help with my questions! Y’all are some smart folks! Next question, I am about to disk my garden after last weeks plowing and figured I’d drop the hydraulic and transmission fluid while I was doing all this work. My wife said we would never get this garden paid for! Question, any tricks secret to changing these two fluids? I can’t tell really where to drop the transmission fluid from and it appears to be two places to fill it from on the top. I can’t really find it in a book anywhere.

What kind of fluid would you recommend in each? There’s a lot of stuff online, and maybe y’all are on other sites too, but the folks on here haven’t lead me wrong yet! Thanks once again in advance!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A1 Hydraulic fluid

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:45 am

Hi,
The Super A operator's manual should have all the info about lubrication.
I posted it at 1 of your posts.
The experts on here recommend people read the operator's manual. It has lots of info.
There is a table of contents on page 1.
Here it is below.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Page 27 has the lube specifications, it says use 90wt gear oil in the transmission and final drives.

Page 27 also says to use 10W motor oil in the Touch Control.
The Cub owner's manual said the same thing in the late 1940's.
Jim Becker has said that recommendation was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid, instead of the 10W motor oil.
Hy-Tran fluid is sold at Case IH dealers. It is thin hydraulic fluid.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying it.

The Lubrication section begins on page 20.
The Lubrication guide is on page 22 and shows the tractor in the pic.
Page 25 has info about changing the trans oil. The pics are dark, so I don't know if you can see them.
It is probably easier to see the manual on a computer with a screen bigger than a phone. :)
Last edited by Glen on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:03 pm

For the transmission/rear end/pto, 90wt gear oil or 85-140 wt. I'd go heavier.

For the hydraulics, I prefer caseIH Hy-Tran Ultraction. You don't have a caseIH dealer close anymore since the company dropped Mills International in Kinston so if you don't want to travel or order online, NAPA sells a fluid that "meets" Hy-Tran's specs.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

stellafarmall

Re: Super A1 Hydraulic fluid new pics

Postby stellafarmall » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Friends, I dropped the fluid in my hydraulic pump this afternoon and pulled the filter out to clean. Turns Out there is no filter! It
Looks like it’s been cut off. Would this be affecting the lift capacity I have? When the tractor gets hot, my rear lift stops lifting, but front lifts quite well. Should I order a filter, or put it all back together, fill her up and keep plugging along? Why would someone have cut this thing off?
As always thank you!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Super A1 Hydraulic fluid new pics

Postby Super A » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 pm

stellafarmall wrote:Friends, I dropped the fluid in my hydraulic pump this afternoon and pulled the filter out to clean. Turns Out there is no filter! It
Looks like it’s been cut off. Would this be affecting the lift capacity I have? When the tractor gets hot, my rear lift stops lifting, but front lifts quite well. Should I order a filter, or put it all back together, fill her up and keep plugging along? Why would someone have cut this thing off?
As always thank you!

It had probably developed a hole or some other damage.

This is my opinion and may be wrong, but I am guessing you don't have any hookups for hydraulic cylinders--in other words your system is closed. As long as you don't introduce dirt into the system, like when you take the cap out to refill it, you shouldn't really need a filter.

After you change the fluid, if the rear lift still stops working when it warms up, there's something else up--probably need to replace some o-rings in the hydraulic box.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

stellafarmall

Postby stellafarmall » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks for the Advice once again! I figured I’ve come this far and not cut any corners on purpose that I would order a filter for it. I’ve got one coming from Burch Store tractors that shipped today! I hope to get it in by the weekend! Anything else I can do to that doesn't require a full disassembly of the unit since I’ve got all the fluid out?
Thanks again!

stellafarmall

Postby stellafarmall » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:22 pm

Super A wrote:For the transmission/rear end/pto, 90wt gear oil or 85-140 wt. I'd go heavier.

For the hydraulics, I prefer caseIH Hy-Tran Ultraction. You don't have a caseIH dealer close anymore since the company dropped Mills International in Kinston so if you don't want to travel or order online, NAPA sells a fluid that "meets" Hy-Tran's specs.

Al

Al,
Would the fluid at Napa say that it meets the Hy-Tran specs on the bottle?
Thanks!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:38 am

stellafarmall wrote:
Super A wrote:For the transmission/rear end/pto, 90wt gear oil or 85-140 wt. I'd go heavier.

Al

Al,
Would the fluid at Napa say that it meets the Hy-Tran specs on the bottle?
Thanks!

I think so. Something like this: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FAL85401
Now bear in mind, I am a firm Hy-Tran from caseIH believer. But I don't know why this won't work.

Al

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 am

As long as it says it is MS 1207 or MS 1209 compliant, it should fine.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Dh2jr
Zip Code: 49058
Tractors Owned: 1953 farmall super A

Postby Dh2jr » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:44 pm

In my neck of the woods family farm and home carries case hy train
53 Super A

stellafarmall

Postby stellafarmall » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:27 pm

Good evening friends! I wanted to tell everyone thanks for your help with my latest “situation” I don’t know if
It was the new filter, new fluid or a combination of the two, but my three point lift is working like brand new! It blows my mind on how well it works and how responsive it is! My other post about the tractor not picking up the disc is now a closed case! Hopefully I’ll locate some hillers and get some seed in the ground this weekend!

Thanks again for the help and recommendations!