This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A won’t pick up Disk

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Super A won’t pick up Disk

Postby SamsFarm » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:02 pm

stellafarmall wrote: It may be easier on me to cut the back part of he disk off and drop two gangs of blades?

From your pictures of the disk, it looks like you could pull those 4 bolts (2 each side) out of the frame and drop the whole back half!

No cutting required! :)
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:25 pm

Have you tried shortening the top links on both the tractor and the disk itself?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:20 pm

You can try moving the lift rod (from the front) up to the other hole. You can also move the two vertical links to the other hole on each rear rockshaft arm.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:11 pm

any wee bit you can get to shorten things up just might be enough to do the trick ---- it would be pushing things, BUT worth a try.

stellafarmall
Zip Code: 28582

Postby stellafarmall » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 pm

Thank you very much for all of y’alls advice! I have a bunch of ideas to try Saturday! I would have probably given up if not for all my bee ideas. I’ll post one more set of pics on this disk question and then I’m going to move onto my next questions. Would it help my lifting advantage if I moved the main bolt on the lifting rod? I assume I could move it because of the extra holes that are there. Any reason to move it? Thanks again in advance for your help!
Attachments
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 405 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 405 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (31.77 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:24 pm

Moving the bolts forward in your first picture will help. It isn't clear if moving the one in the last picture will help. I initially thought it would but now I doubt it. You can give it a try.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 am

What I would do--- and this is only me ----- is to make a secondary bracket and clamp over the tractor arms about half way down towards the tractor,. do this just for a test and see what happens. --- clamp, dont weld yet. now it wont lift as high , but might clear the ground enough to do the job.
Your bottom arms are still way too long and thats up to you as to if you want to make better, shorter ones or not.--- I would do that first and use them just for the disk. The long ones are o.k. for light equipment.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:13 pm

SONNY wrote:---- is to make a secondary bracket and clamp over the tractor arms about half way down towards the tractor,. do this just for a test and see what happens. ---

Your bottom arms are still way too long and thats up to you as to if you want to make better, shorter ones or not.---

You might try adding a hole to each of the bottom arms, as far back as possible. Move the vertical links to the new holes.

The effect would be about the same as SONNY's suggestion, except you are messing up the poorly designed 3-point hitch rather then the tractor.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:41 am

Hey Jim----I just noticed the lift rod plate that the rod hooks into looks homemade-----wonder if its the right length? also the right position?---- see what I see in the pic.?
by putting new holes in the bottom arms, also move the top of the vertical bars to the front hole. only an inch or so, BUT would give a bit more leverage.
I agree on the poorly designed hitch! --- I plan on making my own for my SA.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:40 am

SONNY wrote:Hey Jim----I just noticed the lift rod plate that the rod hooks into looks homemade-----wonder if its the right length? also the right position?---- see what I see in the pic.? . . .

I think I see the same thing. The back half (with 1 hole) of the lever where the lift link attaches is clearly added on. Whether the front part where the lift link is currently attached is original is less clear. If it is also homemade, the hole may be in the wrong place. The pivot that connects the link to the lever has also been modified (it shouldn't have threads). It also looks like the link itself has been bent, straightened, and reinforced too. So there is quite a bit of history there. Some of it wouldn't hurt the lift capacity, but others would.

stellafarmall
Zip Code: 28582

Postby stellafarmall » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:25 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice. I hope to start with the easiest things y’all suggested and see how it goes. I was going to try it last weekend, but I hooked up the plow and tried to turn over the garden before it rained. I ran into another issue that I’m going to throw out there in another post to see what my new
Farmall friends think since y’all are all rocket scientists! Thanks again! I’ll let you know how it goes with my disk!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi,
Below is the Super A operator's manual, if you don't have one. The experts on here recommend people read the operator's manual.
It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It doesn't have the Super A-1 though.

I would check or change all the oils before using the tractor.
Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.

There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check in the rear area of the tractor, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The tractor model is probably originally on the serial number plate.
Someone has evidently painted over the plate, so you can't read the words that were on the plate.
Good luck with the tractor. :)