This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO generator?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO generator?

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Urbish wrote:I considered getting a PTO generator to run off my H, but I wasn't nuts about relying on a 73 year old tractor to keep my house warm in the winter if necessary.

Yes! It is one thing to pin a wagon to an old tractor and go pick up a load of hay. It is another to hook a generator onto it, yank the speed control wide open, and walk away from it for a couple hundred hours.

Eugene wrote:Transfer switch, power cables, and cable terminal ends?

How are you going to organize/install the generator set?

You need to consider the cost of these (and other) items that will be needed no matter what sort of generator is used. The savings from using an old tractor vs. getting a modern, clean operating generator starts to become a small percentage of the big picture.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 pm

I have an excuse. CRS.

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49816

Postby Saucymynx » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:07 pm

Well, ya’ll have talked me out of a pto generator. I am no leaning towards the Winco 10kw. Availability on all new generators is tough!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Saucymynx wrote:Well, ya’ll have talked me out of a pto generator. I am no leaning towards the Winco 10kw. Availability on all new generators is tough!
Check the big box stores. They have portable generator sets available.

Buy now. When the storm hits, nothing will be available.

A week or two after a big ice storm went through Missouri and took out power for 2 weeks, secondard hand generator sets were sold at a considerable discount.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Saucymynx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49816

Postby Saucymynx » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:30 pm

To close the thread out, I went ahead and bought a standard genset. Power went out 4 days prior! 50 mph winds all day today, but power stayed on!

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:48 am

Saucymynx wrote:To close the thread out, I went ahead and bought a standard genset. Power went out 4 days prior! 50 mph winds all day today, but power stayed on!

...did not hook up the generator but cleaned up all 3 kerosene lamps and the electric came back on about 3 hours after being off. also did not like putting the tarp back on the fire wood pile 5 or so times during the 50 mph winds :tractor:
get er done; life is good

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”