This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Valve Adjustment

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brooktre
Zip Code: 17814
Tractors Owned: International A 1946
Massey Ferguson Work Bull 202 1958

Valve Adjustment

Postby brooktre » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:25 pm

I recently got an Owners Manual for my International A. In it, I see that the valves should be adjusted every 400 hours. I've owned this tractor for nearly 30 years and other than change the oil / filter and grease the fittings have done very little maintenance. I did change the transmission, rear axle fluid and coolant not long after I got it. I use it to cut grass and probably put 40 - 60 hours a year on it. It starts right up and runs well. Burns some oil. It is stored under roof.

What else should I look at when adjusting the valves to a clearance of 0.014 inch?

Are there any reasons to consider not to adjust the valves?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Valve Adjustment

Postby inairam » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:49 pm

I can not say for the A family of tractors but from my experience with cubs adjusting the valves should really be considered part of the complete tune-up with spark plugs, points, condenser, timing.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:56 pm

There could be uneven wear on the tips of the rocker arms where they contact the valve stems. Be aware of it as you may not be measuring what you think.

brooktre
Zip Code: 17814
Tractors Owned: International A 1946
Massey Ferguson Work Bull 202 1958

Postby brooktre » Fri May 01, 2020 7:46 pm

I was looking at it again today after reading that the Farmalls of that era had the same serial number on the tractor and engine. I was surprised to see that my serial numbers matched! The block was labeled 11-12-P which fits with the serial number dating of 1946.

When scraping the paint off of the serial number I couldn’t help but notice some oil stains showing some leakage from the head gasket. I think what I’m going to do is use it this summer and plan on some engine work this fall. I’ll do a compression check and see what that reveals and start a list for repairs. I don’t know about the compression, but other than burning oil it starts easily seems to run well. The only time it smokes (visible) is if you’ve been running to get it hot and then you let it idle for a bit. It will then smoke a little, but it clears up when you throttle back up.

papajohn
Zip Code: 27542
Tractors Owned: Farmall Super A
Farmall 140
Oliver 1655
Massy Ferguson 135
Massy Ferguson 240
White 2-60
White 2-135
White 2-110
White 2-62
Allis Chalmers 200

Postby papajohn » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:10 pm

The smoke situation you describe seems to indicate seepage from the valve stem seats or worn rings. These old tractors (that havent had an engine rebuild) are famous for slobbering oil around the head gasket when running at idle/low rims for a while. The rings are a bit worn and let a dribble of oil to the tops of the cylinders and then slobbers out of the head gasket. When the tractor is running higher rpm or under a load the small amount of oil getting by the rings is burned up quickly and doesn't make much if any blue smoke...unless you have a major issue with their rings. If it's that bad then a compression check would show less than desirable results.

See what the plugs look like after a good long high rpm stint. Tell tale sign of bad rings show up as oily plugs. Proper running no oil burning will show as a slight rust color plug electrodes.

It would be a good idea to adjust the valves which is a easy job if you are comfortable with wrenching. The owner/operators lists the procedure. Much easier using the hand crank to turn the engine to get the pistons to TDC and so forth. If nothing else correctly adjusting the valves may help cut down on top end chatter/noise from the rockers arms clacking.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”