This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Never Had This Problem Before

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Never Had This Problem Before

Postby w30bob » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:53 am

Hi Guys,

Well, I thought I'd had experienced just about every weird bolt removal problem there was, but this one is new for me. I'm trying to take out the two bolts that hold the bracket for the bottom two grille housing bolts. The first one came out with some coaxing from a breaker bar and continued unscrewing. The hole it goes thru in the casting was full of crap, and it's a pretty tight fit to begin with, which was what was making it hard to get out......but it did come out. All the crud was up near the head end of the bolt....ie, the front of the casting, not the rear where the threads are. The other bolt (in the pic) is a real mother. It will fully rotate with a 2 foot breaker bar but will not come out or break. There's not enough room behind it and in front of the pulley to get a decent swing of a hammer or use a punch or drift. I don't want to leverage off the pulley for obvious reasons. In front there's not enough room to get anything between the head of the bolt and the bracket to pry while turning. I tried an impact gun, which turned it slowly....but it won't thread itself out. I really want to save the bolt if possible, so I don't want to weld to the head.....but I'm running out of ideas. Yes, I've been soaking both ends with PB Blaster every day for the past 2 weeks, and the nut is only on in the pic to prevent damage to the threads as I baby-tapped it with a small hammer......which doesn't work. Usually continued turning will grind up the crap in the bolt hole and she'll back out........but not this one, because the crap is around the unthreaded shoulder of the bolt. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I want to get this buttoned up today or tomorrow.

thanks,
bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Never Had This Problem Before

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Put a pry bar against the back side of the bolt but use a spacer between the inner end of the pry bar and the rear part of the housing. While you hold force on the pry bar, rock the bolt back and forth with the breaker bar. After it moves enough that the pry bar can no longer push it, you will be able to get a wrecking bar under the head and continue turning with the breaker bar. It may take 3 hands.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Without actually seeing it in person, Jim has the best idea I can think of. If you were not set on saving the bolt my suggestion would be to cut the head off, and drive it toward the pulley, cut that part off when it gets to pulley and drive more. Jim's idea to use a block to allow the use of a pry bar on the pulley end of the bolt is a good start. If there is enough room to get a plam nailer between the bolt and pulley, a short piece of metal in the palm nailer may give enough force to push it while turning.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm

heat

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1955 Willys M38A1

Postby w30bob » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Well..........I got it out. What a pain the arse. I did what Jim suggested, as I didn't see the other posts until now. I was getting ready to cut the damn head off and drift it out the back, but I didn't have another 3.5" long x 7/16 fine thread bolt in my box of IH bolts, so I really wanted to save it. Now why IH used 2 of those monster bolts to hold a little sheetmetal bracket on is lost on me......1/4" bolts would have done it without any trouble. So Jim's method worked, but it took 4 hands.....and my fattest neighbor leaning on my 4 ft pry bar.....and the impact gun.......and endless spinning of the bolt.......but it did finally come out. Hard to believe it could have resisted so hard for so long. When I've run into these in the past once you get it turning it grinds up the junk and gets looser. Not this one. And out of the total 3.5 inch length of bolt there was only crap on about an inch and a half of it. Cleaned everything up and the bolt can be reused, but I want to run a bore brush down those holes tomorrow in the casting just to make sure I got all the crap out. I'm glad I pulled the radiator because I didn't see the two wire harness clips behind the water pump that I'll need to access when I change the harness tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for the help guys!!!

regards,
bob

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:38 am

I would suggest when you put the bolts back a coating of antisieze along the entire length. It works to keep adjustable front axles free, so should work to keep those 2 bolts free.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1955 Willys M38A1

Postby w30bob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi John,

Oh yeah..........you can bet your sweet (you know what) I'm going to anti-seize those bolts. I tend to do that (or powdered graphite or grease) on every bolt I take off a tractor and then put back. Saves a lot of work down the road and even if I never touch the bolts again the guy who gets it after me in 40 years will be grateful I went thru the effort.

regards,
bob

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”