This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

48 Super A stalled under load...won't start now...ideas?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
smokeybear
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 23883
Tractors Owned: Super A
Cub Cadet 126

48 Super A stalled under load...won't start now...ideas?

Postby smokeybear » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:38 pm

I'm a casual tractor user...get my Super A out about 4 times a year to tool around, hook up the wagon, etc. It's always ran fine - starts well and besides some smoking, no issues.

Today I started it, let it run for about 20 minutes to warm up, fueled it up, then used it to move around some machinery. At about the hour mark, I was pulling a heavy piece of machinery (a McCormick Deering Thresher) in 1st gear, on level ground, at about 2/3 throttle(?). All of a sudden, it sputtered for about a second then quit with a puff of blue smoke rising from the oil filler cap. Haven't been able to start it since.

It has fuel - at least to the carb. I pulled a spark plug and it did spark. There's no clanging around in the motor when I crank it. I also used the hand crank to see how it felt and it seems to feel about the same as any other time I've cranked it over by hand.

For some reason, I feared it was something serious (because of the way it stopped so suddenly), so I dropped the oil to see how it looked and it's fine - just oil. I looked in the radiator and it looks good too - no foam or crud floating at the top.

Any ideas on what I should be checking next? How's the best way to see if fuel is getting through the carb? I just wonder if something got stirred up when I fueled it at the pump and it could be clogged? Thanks for any suggestions you all may have.

Ben

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 48 Super A stalled under load...won't start now...ideas?

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:55 pm

There should be a drain plug in the bottom of the bowl in your carburetor. With the fuel valve open, remove that plug. You should get a steady stream of fuel for at least a minute or two. Let us know the results of this test.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:38 am

If it passes Don’s test, the next thing would be to check for a plugged main jet, in the carb. Checking that will vary, depending on which carb. your tractor has.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:57 am

Wait for it to cool down, an hour, maybe a day then if fires up, runs great and repeats the prior problem it’s likely the coil is heating up and on its way out.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

smokeybear
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Cadet 126

Postby smokeybear » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Ok, thank you guys for the replies. Fuel is passing through the drain hole on the bottom of the carb.

I’ll put oil back in it and try starting it again. I wondered if it could be coil related…

If it doesn’t, I’ll investigate the carb further.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:49 pm

By sitting that long between uses---- sounds like ignition and the coils do go weak or die altogether when they sit for so long. Motors sitting too long without being used is their worst enemy!

smokeybear
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Cadet 126

Postby smokeybear » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:19 pm

After I put oil in her, I tried starting her and it almost fired once but after that no luck. A Napa coil on her this afternoon and and she fired first crank. Thanks for the input everyone! I'm gonna have to get her out more and work her. I picked up a plow and disc and am piecing together a set of cultivators.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”