This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Strike of 1979

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
IHC79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall Strike of 1979

Postby IHC79 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:00 am

My father worked at International Harvester/Farmall for 23 years in the engineering department. When I became older, I became a union electrician and a union steward. I am working towards getting my Bachelor's degree and I am currently writing a paper on the Farmall strike of 79. Since I was a young teenager at the time of the strike, I was wondering if anyone would care to give me any information on the strike. I am interested in both the union side as well as the management side. I have devised a small survey but if you have any other information that might help explain the mood or lifestyle that would be helpful.
1. What position and shift did you work while employed with IH?
2. In your opinion, what was the major issues of the strike?
3. If you had it todo over again, knowing what you know now, what would do different including going on strike?
4. Do you think the plant was doomed to close up regardless of the strike?
I am looking forr anyone who would like to comment from that event in time. I am not looking so much to find fault but rather better understand the circumstances of the strike. I would like any honest opinions or details. You can email me if you would like at IHC79@rocketmail.com .
Thank you,
Tom Rich

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Strike of 1979

Postby VinceD » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I can't provide any information about the strike but I can say, "Welcome to the forum." :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Farmall Strike of 1979

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 am

Tom:

Nice to make your acquaintance, and I hope that you are able to get some information for your paper. In the interim, this might be interesting to you. You do not indicate if you are a Cub owner or interested in Cubs but maybe these links might help.

Rudi wrote:Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server where you will find a bunch of really useful links.

For your questions, this particular forum is basically just to introduce yourself, and I will say your intro is fairly interesting, but the likelyhood of you getting a lot of response to your questions is quite low as it is pretty much in the wrong forum for maximum views. I would suggest that you possibly repose the questions/poll in the Farmall/IH/Case forum, where you will probably get much more input.

Oh, you might want to investigate the McCormick-IH archives as there might be much help there as well.
Good luck on the paper and keep us posted on how it goes. Sounds like an interesting paper that will hold a lot of interest for many of us here.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Introduce Yourself”