This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
53Cub CAVU
Zip Code: 36303

Postby 53Cub CAVU » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Hello everyone!

My grandfather bought this cub off of the dealers lot in the spring of 1954 and last year I bought it from my parents when I found out they were going to put it up for sale at our church auction. She had not been run and had been sitting on cinder blocks in one of our old chicken houses for the last 20 years

and I have never done a restoration of anything but I felt like I was up for the challenge and wanted to keep the tractor in the family. I have rebuilt the carburetor, installed new points and plugs, a new wiring harness and voltage regulator as well as several other items and got her running again on 06/27/20. She had quite the mud dobber infestation when I started cleaning her up. Image

I pressure washed her twice before I got her running again and still quite a bit of well earned dirt/grease remains. Image

I am starting to clean individual parts in earnest now and have seen comments/posts about electrolysis and that sounds like a good method. I don’t currently have a tank to use for that but do have access to a sand blaster and good air pressure at work and am thinking about going that route instead. Any thoughts from the group on if sandblasting is acceptable?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Member

Postby Barnyard » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:15 pm

In my opinion, I would leave it original since it was owned by your family. Once it is painted all 0originality is gone.

Welcome to the group.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

53Cub CAVU

Postby 53Cub CAVU » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Thank you Barnyard. I have been on the fence as to whether or not I should leave it as is with it's rusty patina or get it back close to original as possible with fresh paint.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:23 pm

I agree with Barnyard. The last couple cubs I acquired had a nice patina as well, but after a good scrubbing/degreasing, the bare areas looked like they would start rusting. Per some recommendations from other forum members, I tried some of this:
download.jpeg.jpg
download.jpeg.jpg (10.25 KiB) Viewed 440 times

I sprayed it on, wiped the excess off...it really did not stay tacky, though there was a slight visible film on it, and the patina darkened a bit, but looked rich. I liked the look!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

53Cub CAVU

Postby 53Cub CAVU » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:11 am

I have never heard of that product before but will look into trying it out. Thank you Dale!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:25 am

There is really nothing as nice to look at as a good survivor and from what I can see, yours looks like a pretty good one. Go through it, with a fine tooth comb and make it mechanically as good as you can get it. You can put something on it to prevent rust and preserve the patina but I would avoid anything that gives it a shinny look. Will it rust if you put nothing on it? maybe, but it's been doing that for 65 years and counting.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:29 am

Dale, welcome to the forum.
I agree with all the above. It looks great in its original clothes.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

53Cub CAVU

Postby 53Cub CAVU » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:36 pm

Thank you for all of the great advice guys!

Looks like a unanimous verdict to keep it in its well earned current patina! I will give it a good scrub/de-greasing and continue to work on going through all of the systems and components. One thing I have figured out rather quickly in this project is that there are plenty of items that need addressing but I have really enjoyed the process.

Paul

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:06 am

Welcome to the Forum, Paul! I really like your family Cub and add my vote to the list above; keep it as is. There are also many homemade recipes for metal preservation that you can spray on to fight off rust.

In the meanwhile, take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if your grandfather had any of the manuals to your Cub, but now that you’ve logged your 2nd post, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (it may suggest areas you haven't thought of yet): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Thanks for posting pictures of your tractor! We like pictures!

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Looks like you have an honest Alabama Cub there. Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Introduce Yourself”