This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What to do with a Cub you just brought home

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
M6scout01
Zip Code: 23106

Re: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Postby M6scout01 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:23 pm

Just purchaced my 1st Cub last weel '62 this is great information

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi,
wil1bil, I guess it's been almost a month since you posted on the previous page.
You didn't say the year of your Cub.

A Cub with a voltage regulator doesn't need the 4 position switch, for controlling the charge rate.

Maybe you meant it has a cutout, or Relay, IH called it, on top of the generator.
They aren't a voltage regulator, you have to select the charge rate yourself.

Below is a page from the 1950 Cub operator's manual, with a pic of the hood off.
It shows the original generator and Relay, used before Cub serial number 115403.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2033.jpg

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, it shows the voltage regulator system, used with serial number 115403, and above. The voltage regulator isn't on top of the generator.
This system was used up until IH changed Cubs to 12 volts, in mid 1964.
The pics are helpful to see if your Cub still has the original style electrical parts.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2050.jpg

Cubs were 6 volts, positive ground until mid 1964.
Many of the 6 volt Delco generators were 3 brush generators.
IH changed to a vented generator during 1962, they were 2 brush generators, the Cub parts manual says. :)

wil1bil
Tractors Owned: Ferguson 40, Massey Ferguson 135, Ford 1910, Farmall H, Farmall Cub

Postby wil1bil » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:36 am

My Cub is a 52 with the 3 brush generator. I took it all apart and cleaned everything up, now it put out 16-17 volts when I hook my meter to the A terminal and the regulator is NOT hooked up. I don't know what was original but now I have a 4 terminal voltage regulator with 2 coils inside. I thought the 3 brush gen. was not a match for that regulator from what I was reading but I have it charging at 7.5-8 volts when engine rpms are up there. Hoping that doesn't burn the battery up. I tried the different settings on the light switch and that didn't seem to affect that. I just bought this in June so I'm figuring it out. I also took the starter all apart and cleaned up, it didn't want to turn over very well. Now it spins over nice. Changed the tranny, hyd, steering box and engine oils. Greased and oiled whatever I could find, incl the throw out underneath thru cover. Topped off the final drives, still want to get gaskets for that and drain, clean and inspect. The left side of the tractor is louder that the right and I was wondering if I might have a bad bearing or something in final drive on that side. Also read something about the gears being straight cut and they are normally a little louder but I don't know what is normal noise for this tractor.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi,
The 3 brush generator is the right one to use with the voltage regulator.
The Delco generator's model number on it's plate was probably originally 1100501.
You could look and see if it is that number.
The light switch used with the voltage regulator system for Cubs serial numbers 115403 - 210000
is a 3 position switch. It is only for the lights. It has O, off, D, dim, and B, bright, positions.
It doesn't control the charge rate.
The voltage regulator controls the charge rate.

There is a 1952 Cub operator's manual at Quick links, at the top left of the page. It has lots of info.
The experts on here recommend reading the operator's manual.
I can't post it here.

The Cub voltage regulator has 4 posts for wires, and 2 coils inside it.

The Cub service manual says 7.2 volts is the maximum for the generator system.
The voltage regulator can probably be adjusted to charge less.
If it is a newer regulator, you probably need to bend the mounting that holds the lower end of one spring in the regulator. You have to know which place to bend to do it right.
Delco regulators I have seen had an adjustment screw. :)

Jose Wales
Tractors Owned: 59 Cub
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Great list. My breather cup was full of sludge, is there any reason other than never cleaned? Is there a diagram of how to clean the breather tube anywhere? The steering box was water and sludge also, it seems it has been neglected for years. The bolster drain plug is rusted and I wonder if I should leave it alone, would not want to break it, would taking the bottom hose off be ok to flush the radiator /block? It looks like that hose may be hard to remove and replace, any tricks to it? Sorry about so many questions on one post, sure appreciate the help.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:38 pm

I have a rusted bolster drain plug. Remove the coolant maniflold, lower right side of block. You can drain coolant, flush the bolster and block from the manifold opening.

Hose. New length of hose and clamps from auto parts store.

Gasket. I make a new one from on hand gasket material.

Clean the breather cap. Drain the steering gear box and install new lubricant.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jose Wales
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Following Clem's check list today I drained the transmission, drain and fill plug removed ok but unable to remove the level plug, used PB for a couple days and paint remover, no luck. Drained the sump and about 1 gallon came out, it is supposed to be 3 1/2 pints by the book. Ran kerosene to clean. Liquid was red and thin, no sledge came out with the kerosene, don't know what it was.
Any problem just putting in 3 1/2 pints until I can remove the plug, It looks like removing the wheel is about the only way to get to it. Any suggestions? Sorry about all the questions, new cub and novice owner. This is a great project and glad to have this forum.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:36 pm

If you've drained it through the drain plug, adding the 3 1/2 will be fine. If you didn't want to measure it out, the level plug allows you to pour it in until it starts dripping out the hole.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:15 pm

Some of my favorite tools are 3 different sized pipe plug sockets, 3/8" drive, that EASILY allow me to remove all the different sized plugs on the Cub without rounding off the corners, including that transmission level plug. It'll get in between the fender & the transmission. You'll also have a better chance at removing those radiator drain plugs, too!

This set is more than you need perhaps, but shows what I mean. I think mine were ordered from the MAC truck guy!
https://www.tylertool.com/grey-pneumatic-1211p-11-piece-3-8-in.-drive-pipe-plug-standard-socket-set/gryn1211p.html?ref=pla-mobile&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=gryn1211p&gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76o06m92HzTMhVOnNZ78CW5lWW29VuInbbxeP6k5CpqkH0rK9HArm3hoC8QIQAvD_BwE
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jose Wales
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:21 am

Thanks Dale, sounds like a good idea, will try a set.

tdkask
Zip Code: 31548

Postby tdkask » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 pm

First ever post. New Cub (1974) owner here. I decided that I should read through all this and go through most of the lists. Sorry, but may have missed, and haven't seen elsewhere... what oil goes in trans, final drives, and gear box? 90W? Also, should I put 30W in the engine?

Thanks!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi tdkask,
The operator's manuals for Cubs since about the late 1950's say to use Hy-Tran fluid in the transmission, and final drives. Nowadays it is Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. You can buy it at their dealers.
The manual also says you can use 90 wt. gear oil instead.

Hy-Tran fluid is used in the Touch Control also.

Below is the 1965 Cub operator's manual, it has lots of info, the experts on here recommend people read it. There is a table of contents on page 1, and the index begins on page 75.
The lubrication info begins on page 59.
Page 64 shows what oils to use.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

For the steering gear, someone on here recently said he used 90 wt gear oil, instead of the oil the manual says.

30 wt motor oil might be too thin, if the Cub has low oil pressure from engine wear.
Some people on here use 15W-40 oil in the engine.

They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.
This manual shows the electrical system a 1974 Cub originally had, except during 1972 IH changed the starting system to a key start.
The manual has 6 and 12 volt info, disregard the 6 volt info, since a 1974 Cub is 12 volts.

There is a 1974 Cub operator's manual at the top left of the page at Quick links, then go to PDF manuals. I can't post it here.
There are manuals at the top of the page at Cub Info also. :)

the_draft
Zip Code: 78640

Postby the_draft » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 am

Thanks for the info! Keeping a newbie from learning the hard way. Although I am apt to screw something up to be sure.

malget
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 73077

Postby malget » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 am

Wonderful Info.. I inherited a 1949 Cub that belonged to my Uncle. Growing up I would mow with this tractor. I can not wait to get it going again. It will be a labor of love for sure.

Clarkxhm
Zip Code: 66617
Tractors Owned: Farmall 340
Farmall 450 LP
Cub Cadet 100
Cub Cadet 129

Postby Clarkxhm » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:39 pm

I try to take a picture when the new cub arrives. I usually forget because I am too excited to drive it around the farm. But we should have before and after pictures so we can document any restoration.

Return to “Farmall Cub”