This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

frozen brake/clutch shafts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

frozen brake/clutch shafts

Postby Kirk » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:41 am

To all,

I started only a couple of days ago with the tear-down of my Cub and I find myself already at a standstill.

Though the cub is rust-free, I'm sure many parts have never, ever been removed and would like to consider themselves permanently adhered to other parts. :x Case in point: the brake & clutch pedal shafts.

For 2 days, after removing the pins, I've showered them with PB Blaster. Still no hint of them budging under intense hammer. Is there a "puller" that can be used :?:
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:22 am

Try a little heat and gentle persuasion with a brass hammer.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:47 pm

Kirk,

This may come too late, but a hammer isn't the right tool for the job. The more the shaft is hit on the end, the tighter it fits inside the pedal. Apply a lot of heat to the pedal and at the same time, try to twist the shaft to break it loose. Once it starts to turn, move it as much as possible to break up the rust. You may have to work it the wrong way and clean up the shaft with a file. Once it starts to move any at all, the magic potion can get in where it will do some good.

I recently took one apart that was frozen up so bad the pedal was inoperative. The 24" pipe wrench got its' attention.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:50 pm

Kirk, I had the same problem getting my shaft out. I soaked that sucker daily for 3 days with PB-B and it still would not go past the first brake pedal. I finally got @#$%^&**&^%-off and drove it back in as far as I could and then attacked the end ½" surface of the shaft with emery cloth and it finally came out. It must have had an unseeable/unfeelabe swelling on the end. They are almost an untolerance fit. :censored:
Then came Bronson

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:02 pm

Thanks gentlemen,

I guess I over-exagerated the use of "intense hammer" as I actually used it in conjunction with a blunt cold chisel. But I'm glad you made the point as I was about to get out the big hammer and go to work on it.

Though I've had some heat on them.....probably not enough :roll: . Nor have I tried twisting the shafts while under heat. That will be my next attempt!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

I'll keep you posted on the progress!
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:06 pm

Kirk,

They can truly be a bear to get off. I used a small puller since there is not much room to work and the usual penetrant. I plan to clean up the shaft well when reinstalling.

Denny
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:16 pm

Denny,

I think I'm going to have to look for a puller that will fit. The right brake shaft has still yet to break free. I've used lots of heat and PBB.....it hasn't budged.

I have the entire floorpan in a vise and am able to work on it there. Luckily, I got the left brake/clutch shaft out so I could at least remove the floorpan......as I have to split her to do the transmission repair. Worst comes to worst, I may have to forfeit the removal of that shaft until it just HAS to be removed. But I really would like to get it out and clean it up.

I'll just keep on it for awhile. but I'm looking for a puller in the meantime.
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Return to “Farmall Cub”