Corn planting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Corn planting

Postby Jack » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:02 pm

Thank you
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:23 am

Is there a "clump" of plants where the gap ends? If so, the planter is still dropping seed but it's getting hung up in the seed tube.

On the other hand if it's just plant, plant, plant, gap, plant, plant, plant, the planter is not dropping seed during those gaps. Need to watch like a hawk to make sure the mechanism is turning at all times. Need to watch like a hawk to make sure the seed is covering the seed plate at all times.

When we planted sweet corn with the old 56 planter, we'd only have one pound of seed in each hopper. The amount of seed was so small that it would all get pushed up to one spot and wouldn't feed into the plates. Someone would have to walk along behind the planter, and reach in to brush the piles of seed back down over the planter plates so there would be no gaps.

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:33 am

I do not have a clump of plants, I sorta have plant plant plant plant plant space space plant plant space space space space and so on. I have noticed that all the seeds end up at one side of the hopper, I had alot of seeds in the hopper over 5000, I thought about making a wooden disc to set down on top of the seeds weighted with a rock or something to try and keep the seed covering the entire plate.
Thank you
Jack
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor: