Cub won’t start or even make noise.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TomStein
Zip Code: 19320

Cub won’t start or even make noise.

Postby TomStein » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:26 pm

About a month ago, I started the tractor up like normal and put it in the shed.
A week ago I tried to start it and it churned but wouldn’t start.
I tried to start it yesterday and it’s totally dead and doesn’t really make a sound other than a clicking noise.
I have put the battery on the charger and it seems to be fully charged.
I’m a newbie and I’ve been taking some time reading up trying to figure out how to diagnose and fix this, but while I was it got way worse. Any thoughts on where to start? Thanks so much in advance.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub won’t start or even make noise.

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:58 pm

Fully charge up the battery, then do a voltage drop test on the battery.

Voltage drop test on battery. Voltmeter/multimeter set on 20 volts DC with one lead on each battery terminal. Crank engine while reading the voltage. Bad battery; 3.5 volts for 6 volt battery. 7 to 7.5 volts for a 12 volt battery.

Battery good. Check for spark.
I have an excuse. CRS.

TomStein

Postby TomStein » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:20 pm

So the 6V battery reads 6.5v before I pull the ignition. When I pull the ignition it says 4.5v.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:49 pm

Check the electrolyte level in the battery before attempting another recharge. Also clean all of the battery cable connections on both ends. They need to be clean, shiny and tight. If you get the same results, it’s time to replace the battery.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

TomStein

Postby TomStein » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:48 pm

So the electrolyte level is interesting. I’m not sure how standard the batteries are, but do you know how full they should be? I popped one of the three covers off and had to go down just about 2 inches to hit any fluid. Could being that low keep my tractor from starting?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:30 pm

Most batteries should be refilled with distilled water to the level slightly below where the cap attaches. Some auto parts stores will test your battery but if you refill the electrolyte and put the battery on a slow charge for 24 hours and it does not recharge, it's time to replace it. Don McCombs has you covered on the clean cables and connections. Also if you have 12v cables they are too small to carry sufficient amperage. Need 6v cables which are larger. Stranded welding cable is an excellent choice. JMHO Stan
EDIT: Also the mounting surface of the starter needs to be wire brushed cleaned since the path to ground is through the tractor chassis.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:38 pm

TomStein wrote:So the electrolyte level is interesting. I’m not sure how standard the batteries are, but do you know how full they should be? I popped one of the three covers off and had to go down just about 2 inches to hit any fluid. Could being that low keep my tractor from starting?

Inside each of the three cell caps is a cylindrical baffle that extends down into the battery. These baffles each have one or two slots in them. The electrolyte level should be up to the bottom of these slots. If the lead plates are currently exposed, the battery may have been compromised. Use only distilled water to replenish the electrolyte.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor