This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Blue smoke

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Blue smoke

Postby Glen » Mon May 15, 2023 4:05 pm

Hi,
It is common for piston rings to get stuck in the pistons when the Cub is sitting, then they don't seal right in the cylinders, and the engine smokes.
Combustion in the cylinders isn't perfect, it can leave carbon on the rings.
If the rings are stuck, and the Seafoam loosens them, it could help the compression also.
Make the engine work doing something when using the additive, so it warms up.
I have read on here of people having good results after using the oil additive.
It probably says on the can how much Seafoam to put in the oil.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1947 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 120 hours of use.
If the piston rings are wornout, the seafoam won't help much.

I have used Rislone, and had good results with that brand, it is an oil additive also.
I haven't used the Seafoam, but have read people's posts about it on here. :)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Glen wrote:I have used Rislone, and had good results with that brand, it is an oil additive also.
Have previously used Rislone oil treatment with good results. Use SeaFoam because it readily available. Rislone is not locally.
I have an excuse. CRS.

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Mon May 15, 2023 4:41 pm

I know we have a big Sea Foam fan club here but I religiously us Marvel Mystery Oil mixed in my fuel (Not in the oil system). Use the correct amount on the label and all of my equipment has been happy over the years. Marvel Mystery oil has been around longer than the Farmall Cub and actually has some very important fix for our World War 2 aircraft back in the war. (See Google for information)

Anyway it’s a top end (or upper end on tractor lingo) that lubes the guides and rings when fuel is being burned. That might free up stuck rings but it will not cure worn out intake/exhaust guides.

NJ Farmer

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby cdahl383 » Mon May 15, 2023 5:59 pm

Eugene wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:I'll give the Seafoam a shot sometime this summer.
It will take time to free up stick piston rings. Install SeaFoam now. Let it work every time you run the tractor.

Actually, wouldn't hurt to give the tractor a good hard work out.

What do you guys define as a hard workout for a tractor like the Cub?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon May 15, 2023 8:43 pm

Plowing, disking or mowing works fine. Basically anything that will put it under a load.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Tue May 16, 2023 7:38 am

I have used seafoam in all my tractors and gas equipment in the fuel as a preventative measure...usually in the spring and it has always seemed to help. My super C was a big smoker and I tried both rislane and seafoam in the oil and gas and it improved some. It wasn't until I reset the valves that it virtually stopped.

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Tue May 16, 2023 9:41 am

Eugene wrote:Add SeaFoam to the engine oil and gasoline. Hopefully free up stuck rings.

Sometime down the road conduct compression tests.

I wouldn't consider an engine overhaul as long as the tractor performs well.

Edit; Poor spelling.

I was going to suggest adding some ATF to the oil. The high detergent properties of ATF allow it to get in behind the rings and loosen them up if they are stuck. I've never tried seafoam, but it appears to do the same thing.

Note - when running ATF in an engine crankcase, it may smoke more than it did before. Be patient and let it do its magic. On a road car, I say to leave it in there for about 500 to 1000 miles before changing it out. No idea what that would translate to in a tractor...

Another note - there are risks when using a crankcase cleaner. If there is a lot of gunk or crusty buildup in the engine, the detergent could loosen it up and let it drop to the oil pan. The risk is that it may get pulled into and block the oil pickup screen. This has never happened to me before, but it is something I have heard of.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue May 16, 2023 3:06 pm

Cool, maybe I'll pick up some Seafoam and toss it in before I do some plowing. I'll look up Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil as well. I've heard of those, but never really looked much into them or used them before.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Tue May 16, 2023 8:54 pm

Marvel Mystery Oil is good stuff and does have benefits in lots of stuff. They sell it at Walmart, not long ago it was only like $8/gallon, maybe it's $10 or so now but seafoam is like $8 for a little can. I also am a seafoam fan too it's just really expensive. There is an STP and Walmart version of it which I have used as well that's cheaper, not sure how identical it is to it but I have used it but can't say it was anywhere where I could tell if it worked where I have personally used cans of seafoam and had them cure a problem. Berryman B12 is also a good chemical for adding to gas, it's half of what seafoam is as well and works well.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Wed May 17, 2023 8:10 am

Clemsonfor wrote:Marvel Mystery Oil is good stuff and does have benefits in lots of stuff. They sell it at Walmart, not long ago it was only like $8/gallon, maybe it's $10 or so now but seafoam is like $8 for a little can. I also am a seafoam fan too it's just really expensive. There is an STP and Walmart version of it which I have used as well that's cheaper, not sure how identical it is to it but I have used it but can't say it was anywhere where I could tell if it worked where I have personally used cans of seafoam and had them cure a problem. Berryman B12 is also a good chemical for adding to gas, it's half of what seafoam is as well and works well.

I'll check out the MMO. I've used Berryman Chem-dip to clean carbs in the past with great results. That stuff makes stuff clean and shiny again overnight. I use their carb cleaner spray too.