Final drive leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MattS
Zip Code: 00000

Final drive leak

Postby MattS » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:30 am

Hello everyone,

I have an oil leak on the final drive from my Cub :(

I have to change oil gasket N°16. That means that rear axle N°14 need to be removed. After that nut N°26 was removed, how can the rear axle be removed ?
Should we use an extractor ? Are the bearings pressed on and should they be also removed ?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Final drive leak

Postby Bill V in Md » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 am

Yes, that bearing is a press fit. I have removed it with a bearing puller/separator. I think it is a little easier if you have a press. There are several posts on how to do it.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:21 am

Are you sure the trans is not overfull? That can cause a leak. The seal is to keep dirt out, not to keep oil in. An overfull trans will cause oil to rise above the seal and leak.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

MattS

Postby MattS » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:33 am

Bill V in Md wrote:Yes, that bearing is a press fit. I have removed it with a bearing puller/separator. I think it is a little easier if you have a press. There are several posts on how to do it.

And the bearing must be removed. It's not possible to change the seal without this first step ?

MattS

Postby MattS » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:44 am

Barnyard wrote:Are you sure the trans is not overfull? That can cause a leak. The seal is to keep dirt out, not to keep oil in. An overfull trans will cause oil to rise above the seal and leak.

Is there an easy way to see if the transmission is overfilled ?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:04 am

MattS wrote:
Barnyard wrote:Are you sure the trans is not overfull? That can cause a leak. The seal is to keep dirt out, not to keep oil in. An overfull trans will cause oil to rise above the seal and leak.

Is there an easy way to see if the transmission is overfilled ?

There is a fill to plug on the side of the transmission. Take it out and if anything runs out, it is over full. The trans only holds 3 1?2 pints of gear oil. If you have never had the trans oil changed, there is a good chance it is over full due to condensation. In that case, I would drain the trans and flush it with diesel fuel before refilling with gear oil.

As you can see in the photo below, the oil level plug is below the axle seal level. Anytime the oil gets too high, it can cause the seal to leak. Once the oil is at its proper level, your leak should stop.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:36 am

As Barnyard said, the transmission might be overfilled. That usually causes leaks on the inside of the final, dripping down through the drain hole near the brakes.

If you see fluid at that seal at the actual axle, then you WILL need to press off the bearing to remove the seal/retainer.

This might help, though it doesn't address the bearing removal:

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=78436
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:45 pm

MattS wrote:And the bearing must be removed. It's not possible to change the seal without this first step ?

Hi,
The wheel hub is made on the end of the axle shaft, the seal retainer won't come off without removing the axle shaft.

Below is the Cub and LoBoy service manual, it has lots of info.
I would read section 7, the final drive and brake section, before working on the final drive.
There is a contents beginning on page 1 of most sections, that makes it easier to use online.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

You didn't say the year of the Cub. This manual was made in the 1970's so it has newer, 12 volt electrical system info.
The oil seal, number 15 in your pic above may be wornout and leaking, and need replacing.
Dale's post about the final drive, that she put the link to above, is good, it has lots of pictures.
I sent you a PM.

MattS

Postby MattS » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:57 pm

Thanks for you answers.

It is a French Farmall Cub from 1955.

Transmission oil was already changed.
The leak appears on part N°15/16 from the first screenshot. Is this still oil from the transmission or oil from the housing pan N°36 ?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:45 pm

MattS wrote:The leak appears on part N°15/16 from the first screenshot. Is this still oil from the transmission or oil from the housing pan N°36 ?

Hi,
The oil leaking out the seal number 15, or the gasket, 16, would be oil that is inside the final drive.
The 2 final drives have their own oil in them, and are separate from the transmission.
Each final drive has 1 oil plug, the fill and level oil plug. Fill the final drive to the level of the plug.
The Cub operator's manual tells how to check or change the oils. :)

MattS

Postby MattS » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:34 am

Ok you confirm what I had in mind.

I think Barnyard was talking from a leak which can appears in the zone from the red square.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:06 pm

As I read the original question, Matt has an oil leak that he believes is at gasket 16 and he wants to change the gasket. It isn't clear to me whether he thinks seal 15 is bad. I strongly suspect a problem in that area to be 15, not 16. In either case, the oil would be leaking from the final drive housing. All the discussion of transmission oil that my be leaking or too high is a separate potential issue.

Changing the seal requires all the press work etc. that has been discussed. Beware that it usually takes a fairly powerful press to get it apart. It is not small task. If on the other hand you just want to replace a leaking gasket, I wouldn't do all that disassembly. I would just remove the tire and wheel disk and clean up the area around the seal and axle. Take the 4 bolts out of the seal retainer and move it out a little bit on the axle. Use a scraper, X-Acto knife, or whatever to clean up the gasket surfaces. Put a light coating of gasket-maker on one surface (seal retainer side would be easier). Bolt it all back together.

This may not be the needed answer. But it is the answer to the original question.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:50 pm

If you didn't, you should figure out where it is leaking, it is likely the oil is leaking from the seal, and running down. If you have the rear wheel removed, clean the area under the seal, and the gasket, and the shaft, and let it sit and see where oil leaks from.

MattS

Postby MattS » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:45 am

Without all the disassembly will the retainer move enough on the axle to clean the surface and apply gasket-maker ?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:01 pm

I haven't tried it in that particular location. I believe it will be tight but will move enough make it possible.