This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Some basic maintenance questions.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TomStein
Zip Code: 19320

Some basic maintenance questions.

Postby TomStein » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:32 pm

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie and I have a bunch of questions. Sorry I’m advance for the long post.
I’d like to do some maintenance on the transmission and final drive. I just got my 63’ lo-boy and although it seems like it’s running just fine who knows when it was changed last.
So the gear box. I’ve seen some people post and even a video of someone flush it out with kerosene I believe? They even run the tractor slowly with the fluid in the transmission? So it’s ok to run it briefly without any oil in it to clean out the gunk??? If I do that is there anything I should be careful of while running the tractor so that I don’t mess up any gears? Is that something I should definitely do or get in there and see how gunky it is before I do it? Also, any suggestions on what oil I should put back in? The manual says sae 80 or 90 or IH hy-trans fluid, but any suggestions on which one? Or is there something better out there?

Now the final drive. I saw a couple videos of people changing the oil on a cub. The entire half circle dropped straight down after the bolts were loosened. However my tractor looks different. It appears that mine on my lo-boy are rotated 90 degrees and so when I loosen the bolts I’ll pull it towards the front of the tractor. Does that seem right or am I looking at my tractor all wrong. Also if I take the part off that holds the oil to drain and replace it, should I definitely also plan on replacing the gaskets?
Thanks again for the help. I’ll appreciate hearing from people who know more about this than I do.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Some basic maintenance questions.

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:15 pm

Perfectly acceptable to run kerosene or diesel in the transmission to flush it. The gears won't be turning fast enough to cause any issues. My preference on gear oil is 3.5 PINTS of a GL-1 90 wt oil. It is available from Tractor Supply labeled Ford Transmission Oil. Yes, the final pans on a LoBoy are rotated 90 degrees. Pull the pans to drain the finals. Use new gaskets when reinstalling the pans. I use Indianhead gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket to provide a good seal. Remove the fill plug and refill with 1 3/4 PINTS of the same gear oil in each.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:34 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Yes, the final pans on a LoBoy are rotated 90 degrees. Pull the pans to drain the finals.
I use RTV on the finals. Cheap, fast, doesn't leak. Your choice, RTV or gasket.

Transmission/differential. Drain first to see what comes out. Probably some water and maybe some crud. You may just want to do several gear lub changes in quick order.
I have an excuse. CRS.

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 am

Don’t use RTV with petroleum products. If you “need” a sealant because the gasket surface is pitted or distorted use Perm-A-Tex Aviation gasket sealer. Available at NAPA or Amazon. A normal cork gasket without any goo on it will seal provided the flange and cover is level and not pitted.

RTV will breakdown over time and you don’t need to glue the pan on…..you may want to take it off some years down the road. Leave the RTV for sealing air gaps and windows.

NJ Farmer

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:41 am

Tom I live in West Chester and keep my cubs in Glen mills so not too far from you. Feel free to message me.

We have had a very mild winter but the Cub trans does collect water. I have had engines start but not be able to move the tractor because the trans was frozen. So changing the trans fluids is a good thing to do for the winter.

One suggestion is I find it easier to measure out the fluid when refilling the trans than to use the overflow plug but to each his own.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

TomStein
Zip Code: 19320

Postby TomStein » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone. That’s all very helpful! I really appreciate it.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:29 pm

I gauge it on what comes out....and I am a big fan of pre-measuring as was said....that overfill plug is a pain.

Return to “Farmall Cub”