This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: Nope
Circle of Safety: Y

Planter

Postby Magnum » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:52 pm

I have the crazy idea of putting in a few acres of sweet corn for resell locally in my area . I certainly do not want to plant that by hand , so my question is what planter unit should I be looking for ? I'd like to use one of the cubs for the job if possible I also would like to know could the cub pull a double row ? Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Re: Planter

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:44 pm

Sure the cub can pull a two row planter! It takes almost no HP to pull one. As to what the number would be I really don't know. There will also be home made units that are made up as well. Just make sure it's on a row setup you can cultivate if you choose to do so.

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Magnum » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:06 pm

I do plan to cultivate , but I do have a line on a jd 290 , 2 row planter would this be a good choice ?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:52 pm

For all I know without ever actually using one, I think the Deere 290 planter should be able to do the job for you. I believe it is a pretty old design (nothing wrong with that). As such, it probably works best if the operating speed is kept down (nothing wrong with that either). Just keep your Cub out of third gear. I did a web search for that model and came up with a thread on YT that didn't have anything specific to that planter, but had a bunch of other information that should be very helpful. The content is useful for any plate type planter you might end up using. At the end of that thread is a link to another thread. Read all of that thread as well.
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1129843

Not sure what "a few acres" will turn into, but if it is 2-1/2 acres like the man in the linked thread was talking about, that may seem like a lot of ground to cover, but don't dismiss the idea of using a single row planter. That much ground planted in a 36-inch row would reach 2-3/4 miles. A Cub in second gear could cover that distance in less than an hour, were it not for all that pesky turning around at the ends. Planting two rows at a time will only save you a half hour. You will probably spend more time than that getting the second row unit operating properly.

If you look to members of this site for help, you will probably get more if you are using an IH planter. But many planters are similar enough that there should be help available.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:41 pm

Jim Becker wrote:For all I know without ever actually using one, I think the Deere 290 planter should be able to do the job for you. I believe it is a pretty old design (nothing wrong with that). As such, it probably works best if the operating speed is kept down (nothing wrong with that either). Just keep your Cub out of third gear. I did a web search for that model and came up with a thread on YT that didn't have anything specific to that planter, but had a bunch of other information that should be very helpful. The content is useful for any plate type planter you might end up using. At the end of that thread is a link to another thread. Read all of that thread as well.
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1129843

Not sure what "a few acres" will turn into, but if it is 2-1/2 acres like the man in the linked thread was talking about, that may seem like a lot of ground to cover, but don't dismiss the idea of using a single row planter. That much ground planted in a 36-inch row would reach 2-3/4 miles. A Cub in second gear could cover that distance in less than an hour, were it not for all that pesky turning around at the ends. Planting two rows at a time will only save you a half hour. You will probably spend more time than that getting the second row unit operating properly.

If you look to members of this site for help, you will probably get more if you are using an IH planter. But many planters are similar enough that there should be help available.

I did have the same thought as you. It wouldn't take that long with a single row. Even in first gear with a cub if your on 36-40" rows it won't take that long. I plant three rows each time I plant corn there about 60' long or so. While nowhere near an acre or anything. I go slow and can plant them in just a few minutes with a single row. More than 5 minutes but maybe. It more than 10 and that's turning around and going in first gear .

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:36 pm

Magnum wrote:I have the crazy idea of putting in a few acres of sweet corn

The only crazy idea is starting with a few acres. You might consider reducing your starting size.
A plant population of 22,000 seeds per acre, means in a perfect world you would have 1833.33 dozen ears of corn per acre. X2 for a "few" acres =3666.67 dozen. But maybe in real life with 86% germination, you still have 3153 dozen.

You'll want tons of seed plates! All sizes, because seed is super expensive now, and double and triple drops suck, and skips suck too.
Saw a ad for a really nice stack of IH style lustran plates earler this year, but I was too slow on the draw and someone else got them.

Took me a while, but have almost every Deere style lustran corn plate made now.

Magnum wrote:I'd like to use one of the cubs for the job if possible I also would like to know could the cub pull a double row?

There was actually a two row planter made for the rear of the non fast-hitch Cub. A-201 planter I think it was.

I started using the Cub mounted runner planter, but have switched to the Deere 71 two row, three point planter with double disk openers.

Probably a few people out there that have a fast hitch tool-bar with 2 JD 71s on it or the IH 185s behind their Cub.

Ps;
Dont forget to stagger your plantings or buy different varities of seed so it dont come in all at one time! :)
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

tldec50
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere

Postby tldec50 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:44 pm

If you decide on the jd 290 planter the parts list is here https://partscatalog.deere.com search model 290.

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:02 am

Just curious. Are you planning on planting the whole “couple of acres” at once? Depending on your market plans, local conditions, etc. this may not be the best option as it will all need to be planted, harvested and sold at once. If a staggered planting is used the harvest and sales labor window is longer. Often better is a range of “days to maturity” seed. Staggering the planting dates means less time each planting group, but may be less effective. Different varieties may require different seed plates but some customers expect more uniformity than this provides.
Just a few thoughts that may alter the equipment decision.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Magnum » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:51 am

Thank you Jim for the link , seed plate availability was a concern of mine and 2.5 ac is almost exactly what I was going to plant.
Samsfarm , I did put a few varieties in my smaller garden patch over the years and finally found one that seems happy in my dirt . I did not try a faster maturing corn I guess that's what this years is for , I was going to devide the 2 acre parcel evenly into
blocks to have corn throughout the season . I would love to find a 201 planter I won't give up on that but I need to get my stuff together and this jd has presented itself . I am glad to hear that a single row is slower by 30 or so minutes . A cole planter is not really out of the question , I'd prefer the vintage versions myself .

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:34 am

In optimum weather conditions, I strive to plant the same variety 10 days apart.

I do about 1/3 acre.

Somedays I sell out early :), some days no one stops :(!

I use crop rotations, and ideally corn once in a spot every 7 years.
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Magnum » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:11 pm

Wow every 7 years , forgive my ignorance, but I thought every other was good practice , I'm a bit off topic but if I can learn something new it'll be a good day .

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Magnum » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:17 pm

Thank you tidec50 for the link .

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:44 pm

Magnum wrote:Wow every 7 years , forgive my ignorance, but I thought every other was good practice , I'm a bit off topic but if I can learn something new it'll be a good day .

That's what the big ag farms do. Corn then beans then corn or corn wheat corn, depending on your area maybe corn peanuts corn or corn cotton corn. But they do every other year.

I'm not a soil scientist or agronomist but I personally feel 7 years is over kill. But he does it and if he has the room and it works for him that's what counts. He also may be organic and corn really is a Nitrogen hog and he may do this to help the soil recover from the corn without the use of petroleum based fertilizers.

So we can't really make assumptions or anything not knowing all the facts surrounding his operation. But for sure a 7 year rotation doesn't hurt and can only be better than a short one. If he has the ground that's fine.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:27 pm

I did not grow up on a farm, but when I bought some property, I would read, bought a bunch of books.

Read about farm practices on the net.
I read a lot!

New age chemical farming is of no interest to me.

Now new ideas that make you go wow, using nature or old forgotten technics, sure! Innovative ways of doing things keep evolving if your looking.
Sometimes the practices are great ideas, but hard to implement without big starter money.

When I bought my own acreage, I started with a three year crop rotation.

The plan was:
Plot A, sweet corn
Plot B, green beans
Plot C, tomatoes, peppers, sugar snap peas, onions.

Then rotate with the corn following the beans

The 7 year plan was a old time plan I read about (cant seem to find where).

Here is a example of one I have done:
year 1, sweet corn
Year 2, splitting a plot up in half for tomatoes, peppers, onions, sugar snap peas, potatoes, letting the other half rest.
Year 3, swapping what is listed above to the rested side while the former rests.
Year 4, going back to the other side, but all of the tomatoes, peppers, onions, peas and potatoes in a different spot as the last.
Year 5, swapping again, the goal is everything in 4 years does not repeat on the same ground, and that potatoes and tomatoes does not follow each other since they are same family (nightshade).
Year 6, hay
Year 7, hay
Year 8, weather was agreeable, early hay crop, followed by a planting of open pollinated field corn

In 16 years (I think it has been that long) my potatoes have been planted in a new spot every year with the exception that the small spots where I tried the first 2 years has been covered 2x.

Now I am working on mixing livestock coverage in to the mix also.

I dont buy fertilizer, but am interested to try maybe injecting manure tea at planting and interested if spraying manure tea on the plants in their youth growing stages.

All kinds of neat ideas out there!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Magnum » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:24 pm

SamsFarm wrote:I did not grow up on a farm, but when I bought some property, I would read, bought a bunch of books.

Read about farm practices on the net.
I read a lot!

New age chemical farming is of no interest to me.

Now new ideas that make you go wow, using nature or old forgotten technics, sure! Innovative ways of doing things keep evolving if your looking.
Sometimes the practices are great ideas, but hard to implement without big starter money.

When I bought my own acreage, I started with a three year crop rotation.

The plan was:
Plot A, sweet corn
Plot B, green beans
Plot C, tomatoes, peppers, sugar snap peas, onions.

Then rotate with the corn following the beans

The 7 year plan was a old time plan I read about (cant seem to find where).

Here is a example of one I have done:
year 1, sweet corn
Year 2, splitting a plot up in half for tomatoes, peppers, onions, sugar snap peas, potatoes, letting the other half rest.
Year 3, swapping what is listed above to the rested side while the former rests.
Year 4, going back to the other side, but all of the tomatoes, peppers, onions, peas and potatoes in a different spot as the last.
Year 5, swapping again, the goal is everything in 4 years does not repeat on the same ground, and that potatoes and tomatoes does not follow each other since they are same family (nightshade).
Year 6, hay
Year 7, hay
Year 8, weather was agreeable, early hay crop, followed by a planting of open pollinated field corn

In 16 years (I think it has been that long) my potatoes have been planted in a new spot every year with the exception that the small spots where I tried the first 2 years has been covered 2x.

Now I am working on mixing livestock coverage in to the mix also.

I dont buy fertilizer, but am interested to try maybe injecting manure tea at planting and interested if spraying manure tea on the plants in their youth growing stages.

All kinds of neat ideas out there!

This is almost to the letter what I am planning to do . I do get overwhelmed with the logistics of it but I think I'll manage . What you posted does make sense . I do have more acres I could use if this shows it can work .so fingers crossed , I might just pm you at a later date with some questions I may have .

Return to “Farmall Cub”