This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator Replacement: What's the Consensus

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cjet69
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: Family owned: Over 30 antique tractors and 30 garden/lawn tractors

Radiator Replacement: What's the Consensus

Postby cjet69 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:44 pm

I don't need a radiator at this point but may need one or two in the near future. I did some searching and it sounds like a lot of fitment problems with any of the replacements. Is this true? and what do you recommend? Is a re-core the best option? Just looking for info for the future if I need to cross this bridge.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Radiator Replacement: What's the Consensus

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:32 am

1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

cjet69
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: Family owned: Over 30 antique tractors and 30 garden/lawn tractors

Postby cjet69 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:00 pm

:thanx: for the input. Hopefully the 3 rads I have will be OK as is but if not, I guess it will be a trip to the local rad shop.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:35 am

You’re fortunate if you have a local radiator shop! I’m unsure where to find one, in my area, used to have several to choose from.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:48 am

Gary Dotson wrote:You’re fortunate if you have a local radiator shop! I’m unsure where to find one, in my area, used to have several to choose from.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

cjet69
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cjet69 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:15 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:You’re fortunate if you have a local radiator shop! I’m unsure where to find one, in my area, used to have several to choose from.

I checked the local listings and it appears that we still have 2 Rad shops in the county and a couple more in the next county. Should be able to get a repair or re-core out of one of them if needed.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:38 pm

A little late to the party but I did not have fitment issues with my aftermarket radiator, and I bought the cheapest one I could find.

I also have two very repairable original cores if anyone wants to mess around with them.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:48 pm

I there is one place in the country I know of to buy a replacement core, they make them, in RI, not cheap but good quality

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:55 pm

I bought one from JP Tractor Salvage, one of the sponsors at the bottom of the page, and also a nice afternoons drive for me. I bought it last summer, and it was a perfect fit as to height cap clearance etc. The one short coming was that the overflow was just a stub that turned down into the fan opening, and you had to either solder a tube onto it, or use a rubber hose down right in front of the fan. I elected to bend it to the side before it entered the fan shroud and run a rubber hose around the out side of the fan shroud and put it in the original holder at the bottom. I do not remember the brand, but I did find a made in Turkey sticker on it
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:16 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:A little late to the party but I did not have fitment issues with my aftermarket radiator, and I bought the cheapest one I could find.

I also have two very repairable original cores if anyone wants to mess around with them.

How long ago did you buy it?

Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub

Postby Joeandmack » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:58 pm

Searching Amazon they have a “Prime” option for $173 manufactured in Turkey for Complete Tractor. On complete tractor’s site they have it listed $166. Both Amazon prime and complete tractor have free shipping. The two written reviews (one on each site) are contrary, take that as you will, it’s either good and made to original specs (like everyone is claiming…) or needs to be gerry rigged. The dimensions on cross checked on both websites seem odd. Core height 13, overall height 16…Free returns with Amazon prime however so if it’s wrong your not out much just time. Complete tractor has a return policy that seems straight forward, but has multiple steps. I called JP tractor salvage, he claimed to sell about 20 a month, a didn’t get calls back about figment issues. I can’t remember the price think it was under $200 but more than the Amazon options. He didn’t say the manufacturer. I am Saving up to buy one while I try to fix my old one, in case i am unable to. A radiator is what every wife wants for Christmas for her husbands tractor eh?

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:04 pm

Golly i'll have to check, there was a thread that said someone in ireland made them, and i got one. perfect fit. flat gasket surface across the bottom. the overflow was a metal nipple on a tygon tubing, but i drilled it out and bent up some brake line to mimic the original pipe when i restored my cub a few years ago. a couple fins were bent i didn't know if tubes had any damage, i wrote to them saying it would be months before i installed it to check, he suggested bolting a flat board on the bottom to do a pressure test, but said he'd make good if it was damaged. had it on there a few years now, mows lots of hay and haven't had a single issue with it yet! Ireland!!
c

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:20 pm

halftonstude wrote:Golly i'll have to check, there was a thread that said someone in ireland made them, and i got one. perfect fit. flat gasket surface across the bottom. the overflow was a metal nipple on a tygon tubing, but i drilled it out and bent up some brake line to mimic the original pipe when i restored my cub a few years ago. a couple fins were bent i didn't know if tubes had any damage, i wrote to them saying it would be months before i installed it to check, he suggested bolting a flat board on the bottom to do a pressure test, but said he'd make good if it was damaged. had it on there a few years now, mows lots of hay and haven't had a single issue with it yet! Ireland!!
c

There have been some recent issues with the Clancy replacement radiators...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113106
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:46 pm

Clancy that was it. recent issues? darn it was such a nice radiator and the folks were great. mine had a few fins bent and they agreed to replace it if it leaked. hasn't leaked yet! what kind of issues?
c

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:09 pm

Read the link in my previous post.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor