This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

generator and fan belts 1966 cub lo boy straight? too close?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scott 1234
Zip Code: 07461

generator and fan belts 1966 cub lo boy straight? too close?

Postby Scott 1234 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:33 pm

hi all.
so i got the two old gen and fan belts off :0)
now 2 quick questions; and 2 new belts on !
QUESTION:

a. are the belts aligned enough? i have 2 photos from each side.. the fan belt looks ok to me.. the green generator looks a little off.. but is that ok? [there is no real adjustment on either the fan shaft nor the generator mount that i can see to move in and out. just to loosen.. expertise please :0)

b. is the generator now too close to the radiator pipe? [ i have one photo here.. i moved the generator of course, [IN AND OUT] to reach the new tighterNEW belt. that moves the generator just a Wisker away from the pipe to radiator. close but now touching?
what do you think? ok? can the generator be that close to the pipe, with no heat issues?

p.s. if i move the generator any further away from radiator it makes the belt a bit too snug i think. so not really an option. i dont think.]
thanks all. :0)[
Attachments
fan 2 b.jpg
gen a.jpg
fan 21.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: generator and fan belts 1966 cub lo boy straight? too close?

Postby Stanton » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:12 pm

I'm not an expert, or play one on TV, but your belt alignment looks good enough to me. Hard to say not seeing it in person.

As for the generator and water outlet pipe, I'd be fine with that as well. Only alternative there would be getting a longer belt so you could rotate the gen further away.

Hope this helps.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:14 pm

Hi,
A, the belt alignment looks ok in your pics.

B, it's ok if the generator is in on the adjustment slot of the top bracket. That's how it should be with a new belt, then the gen can move out as the belt wears, and you need to tighten it.

I hope you aren't turning the nut at the rear of the fan shaft with the wrench in your pic, the nut has to stay in 1 position in the slot, and you turn the shaft, using the 6 sided place for a wrench, just to the rear of the gen pulley.
It can break the cast iron slots to turn the nut at the end of the shaft. It looks like the nut might have been replaced, it is shiny. The original size nut fills the space made for a nut on the slots.
Be sure the nut isn't too small, it won't hold the fan securely in position, if one side of it can slip into the slot. :)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:25 pm

Hi,
The Cub and LoBoy operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub or LoBoy needs.

Below is the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1, and the index begins on page 75.
It shows how Cubs and LoBoys originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 59.
Changing the trans, final drive, and steering gear oils are on page 70.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1965 and 1966 Cub and LoBoy originally had.
Cubs and LoBoys made after mid 1964 originally have 12 volt, negative ground electrical systems.
The manual has 6 and 12 volt info, disregard the 6 volt info, since your LoBoy is 12 volts.

The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the LoBoy. Using a LoBoy with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in it.
There are 3 separate gear housings at the rear area of a Cub or LoBoy, with 3 separate oil levels to check, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs and LoBoys commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

The operator's manual tells how to change the oils, and what oils to use.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:58 pm

they made two different generator belts, break is by serial #
your fan pulley is bent down more than it is at the top, either the fan hub is worn or the belts are too tight or both, remember to oil the fan

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:43 pm

hi. thanks for replies.
-to Stanton.. thanks for input. i just bought the belt. clerk said it was a match :0/
-to GLEN- thanks.. gee i dont look forward to a soon re tightening :/ it took forever to get the hood off in first place to get to all this :0/
--That nut.. nope... i have that big wrench there simply to Hold that back nut while i turn the smaller 5/8 nut by fan. thanks.
---and yeh. i think somone replaced that untouchable end nut when they put a new fan hub or something on 5 years ago. its worked so far :0)
---Manual.. thanks. yeh i have one.. so starting to do some of the lube etc since i got the tractor last year. this is first time i took off Hood [when generator belt broke] so now fixing the electrical some, and changing plugs, and some lube.
----ill prob do some of the other stuff you mention oe Touch control etc. in winter. now i just need to get it running to deal with fields and such now.
-----air cleaner. yeh , thanks im working on that too now with Hood off. thanks.

to TST-
would appreciate more info here please.
---- not sure what you meant by two types of belts..generator.. hopefully the clerk at loca lplace sold me right one..ti looks about same size.
-- oil fan.. well this is a new hub on it..[when i got the tractor] and i do not see an oil hole on it like on the one in manual ?

-- and fan pully doesnt look righ to you? can you explain ?
hmm.. well if anything the generator belt is the tighter of the two.. vs fan..and the generator is all the way over so I cant give it anymore slack.. as for fan belt .. that 'seems' about right. tension wise. [i think] so not sure what i should do with this....?? and your comment here.. now you got me worried. :0

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:16 pm

Hi,
Before LoBoys were made, IH had a smaller diameter generator drive pulley on the fan hub, only on the Cubs. They used a shorter gen belt.
The smaller pulley was used from 1947 - the early 1950's on Cubs.
The LoBoys weren't made until 1955.
I don't think one of the short belts would fit on the larger diameter pulley, like yours has, but I've never tried to put the short belt on the large pulley.

I see in your pic the gen belt is not aligned exactly.

Did you hold the gen pulley and try moving it side to side when the belt was off, to see of the front bearing is good, and not worn.
Parts would be worn lots to let the front of the shaft and pulley be out of line.

It could be just the pic making it look that way.

New belts usually need retightening after being used for some hours.
The belts can be tightened without removing the hood.
I use a light and work up under the hood.
The belt length looks good to me, the gen should be in with a new belt.
They probably make a 1/2" longer belt, but it's not needed.
Last edited by Glen on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:40 pm

To Glenn. Thanks.
Well. I spun the gen pulley a bunch when no belt.. as it squeaked a lot. Still does... i put oil in both holes. Didnt help.i didn't notice any sway other then it spun around..
Gen alignment. Yeh thats what i see too. Its not a perfect alignment. Frankly i do not know what it wa prior to me working on it this week.. i mean. It was running for last full year. So not sure if it is the same way it always has been. Or something made it move. [i doubt the generator moved other than the back and forth when i loosened the bolts to put on the new green belt]
Yeh. Honestly. I dont want to touch one more thing :0). Ie. Take off gen and grind holes to make it move forward .i am praying it works as is... do you think it will :).

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi,
If the 2 bolts holding the bottom generator bracket are there, and the 3 bolts holding the gen in place are there, that is the position it fits in.

Be sure the 2 bolts holding the bottom bracket, and voltage regulator bracket, are there.

It probably works the way it is, hopefully the belt stays on the pulley. :)
Last edited by Glen on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:29 pm

Sometimes there is a little distortion in a picture that can change how an alignment looks. Looks to me like any misalignment is so slight as to not be a problem. What I see is in both belts. It appears to me that moving the fan back a little would fix both.

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:37 pm

gettings too dark to work in shed. so coming in to for the night.
thanks Glen..
yeh all the bolts are there. tight with rust and dirt. look like theyhave been there a while and never touched [meaning to me tht the genertor is in same spot it always has ben for a while. so if out of allignment, now, it prob was for a whil. i am guessing.. ill post some final shots i took before i came in. some make it seem really misalligned [but what do i know] some make it seem not too bad [but what do i know]. it doesnt look like the fan hub allows for any adjustments ie pull it in . so that means, as you are saying basically, the only adjstment seems to be at the generator itself. but if that hasnt moved in the 4 years since the mechanix put on that shiny new nut that is untouchable...and the shsiny fan replacemnt hub [or whatever it is called where the blades screww in to - which i note does not have the oil fill like old ones]... .. then... maybe it will work without moving anything ...just .. a daily prayer. each time i start it up :0)
Attachments
fan e.jpg
fan d.jpg
fan c.jpg
fan b.jpg
fan a.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:27 pm

Hi,
You are right Jim, I didn't notice the fan belt doesn't look aligned either.

Below is a pic of the original style fan and hub. You can see the distance from the rear side of the shaft washer, to the rear of the generator pulley.

If your pics are showing the actual alignment, then the replacement fan hub assembly might be made so it is slightly too far ahead.

I measured on my Cub, it is 5/8" from the front surface of the slots, to the rear edge of the gen pulley.
Yours is 10 years newer than mine, so it's possible the distance was not originally the same, but you can measure yours and see what it is.
Attachments
Cub fan hub .jpg

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:04 pm

suspect that fan hub assembly is a problem, looks mount crooked, like its angled down, does the fan spin straight, , maybe a after market part made poorly ??

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:00 pm

Agreed. If anything is off it's the fan pulley. Appears to be an aftermarket one, and scott1234 has stated a couple times that it does not have the oil hole. Expect it to have "permanently lubed" bearings.

The nut is supposed to engage in the slot in the back of the fan pulley mounting bracket. If it's a bit off it won't engage in the slots and could sit crooked, I'd think. It looks okay from here.

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:31 pm

thanks Matt.
yeh that "Untouchable Nut" :0) which as mentioned, must be a replacement by someone nut. of course it moved a smidge when loosening and tightening it.in the repair process. but.. i did my best to make sure it is alligned, so that the flat sides of that nut are on the edge. and fit where i think they should go.. so gives most -whatever you call it -holding power [ie so not just the edge/point of nut against the wroghjt iron frame thing.. :0 [not sue wht you call those heavy metal ears that hold the nut there..... if you know what i mean.. note.... i havent had chance to make the measurement suggested above..[busy day today ] ie..like how far that fan pulley is from the brcket itself. BUT i iwll say this. [by lookng at my pictures again tonight above..[and maybe im mixed up here.] but it seems like the thing that would be the deciding factor - of how far out the fan pulley etc, is from the metal bracke.. is that other 5/8 inch nut [the one you actually do have to loosen and tighten. would that piece be all part of the replacement piece? in other words.. when they replaced a few years ago. what i see as the piece attached to the blades. [looks alll shiney] does that pience also have the 2 pulleys attached to it, and also that 5/8 adjustable nut.. is that all one component then? [wish i could draw little arrors on my picutres to name the parts :0)

Return to “Farmall Cub”