Fastenal shipping

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Fastenal shipping

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:09 pm

Question....I am shipping some stuff to a person who posted an ad on the vine and am a little baffled. I went to the Fastenal site to get a shipping quote because they do not take stuff at the Fastenal place without a quote and reservation. I did that through their shipping portal and was able to get to qoutes...one shipping XPO and FedX common carriers...this is strange. I thought everything went on Fastenal trucks which I never have actually seen on the highway...is this normal?

Admins - please move if in the wrong section of the forum...it is Cub related more or less...

Thanks

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Fastenal shipping

Postby JoeB » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:24 pm

I have shipped 50+ times with Fastenal. They have Zones straight up and down the map that they do not cross with their own trucks. They also have blackouts periods where they cannot handle freight to certain states, stores and area ( full capacity). In the past the 3PL Logistics people had offered to arrange freight through other companies when they couldn't handle the stuff I was shipping on their own. They have things shipped daily (through their own carriers and others), have employees to handle the logistics, and it makes them a profit.

If you DO choose their service, make sure to put a BIG LABEL yourself of where it is going and the A#. I have noticed a very high employee turnover at the local stores, and it is better to do that part yourself rather than depending on them for it.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 pm

Thanks...I was getting a little nervous when they gave me the 2 common carrier quotes. I kind of heard they have a logistics wing of the company and are not so much "a hitch a ride on one of our trucks" company.

I will make sure the pallet has a huge label. I appreciate your input

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby JoeB » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:45 am

They started out using the empty space to handle freight on backhauls. Since they had their own trucks, warehouses and drivers, every time they delivered to a store, an empty truck went back to the warehouse. Someone got creative and started the 3PL to handle freight. When I started using them there was only 2 young ladies handling all of the logistics, (Spring and Ginger) last I heard they were still with the company but moved up to management positions. Now there are dozens of people handling different regions. There is no time guarantee and no tracking on the Fastenal 3PL freight, other than calling, and this the only downside I can think of.

The only hiccup I have had was with a particular customer instead of the company itself. He wanted to handle all the shipping details, and wanted me to drop off at my local Fastenal. I did just that, and I already had one going out, so I dropped both 2 pallets at same time. The Do It Yourself customer didn't finish any of his paperwork, and a few months later contacted me blaming me for losing his freight. Fastenal located it in one of the other stores ( I label everything) and got it to him. Lesson learned, if you don't do it yourself, it doesn't get done.

I recommend anyone who is using them to read the fine print on what they DO NOT SHIP. Also double check the SHIP FROM AND SHIP TO stores, it may differ drastically from where your zip code is, as they ship to where is convenient for them. My last drop-offs put me driving past 2 stores to drop off at the 3rd, taking several hours out of my workday.

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 1541 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:56 am

The last time I shipped Fastenal it seemed each store set their individual shipping rate as I got the quote from individual stores. I checked shipping from three different stores and the price varied by over $100 between the three of them all within 25 miles of my house. It actually ended up being cheaper to ship through the USPS and it had the bonus of being delivered to the recipients front door.

Doug
Buckeye Cub Tug
July 26 & 27, 2024
Somerset, Ohio

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:46 pm

1541 wrote:. It actually ended up being cheaper to ship through the USPS and it had the bonus of being delivered to the recipients front door.

Doug

Don’t know how long ago that was, but for the last several months I’ve found the usps to be very unreliable. Major issues
Thomas

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:53 pm

tmays wrote:
1541 wrote:. It actually ended up being cheaper to ship through the USPS and it had the bonus of being delivered to the recipients front door.

Doug

Don’t know how long ago that was, but for the last several months I’ve found the usps to be very unreliable. Major issues

I am shipping a pallet so I thought my choices were Fastenal or Uship which was super easy.

I have spent about 4 hours trying to get this pallet shipped with Fastenal. I was out in PA 2 days ago, I should have just brought it with me and kept going to Ohio.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:05 pm

Got to Fastenal finally at 4:00 and called them asking where I need to go with my pallet and the guy tells me I need to call for a quote for shipping. To which I told him that I have a quote and a Bill of Laden and he says to come back in the morning. This went on back and forth explaining I have a quote and a BOL and he kept saying I need to call for a quote. And kept saying I need to come back in the morning. I called the guy that set this up for me and had been emailing back and forth and on the phone with him 15 times to call them. He did but went the answering machine. Then he says he will call them in the morning to explain and go over the pick up, he said he would call them first because of the time zone difference...he had that backwards...7:30 is 6:30 central time....great was to eat up a vacation day.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:12 pm

None of this sounds like a good option to ship to me?? I get that several have had success with it but the no consistency, one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Loose tracking, no set price schedule, not sure how this is better than u ship or any of the other professional shipping companies???