The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tldec50
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie

Postby tldec50 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:50 pm

CDKL wrote:That was my concern. Now, can the plow be of good use to me without the depth control? How hard would it be find one of those if it’s going to be a issue to use.

The owner might have the depth control,the eye bolt is still on the drawbar.Have to check with him.

CDKL
Zip Code: 30506

Postby CDKL » Mon May 23, 2022 6:54 pm

Great Information!

CDKL

Postby CDKL » Mon May 23, 2022 6:58 pm

tldec50 wrote:
CDKL wrote:That was my concern. Now, can the plow be of good use to me without the depth control? How hard would it be find one of those if it’s going to be a issue to use.

The owner might have the depth control,the eye bolt is still on the drawbar.Have to check with him.

Are you referring to the eye bolt thats on the left hand side of the draw bar?

tldec50
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere

Postby tldec50 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 pm

CDKL wrote:
tldec50 wrote:

Are you referring to the eye bolt thats on the left hand side of the draw bar?

yes,when you install the turning plow you reverse the drawbar and install it on the front pads on final drive.The depth control fastens to the eyebolt to lower or raise the drawbar to select plowing depth.The owner may still have the depth control since he has the plow.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 pm

CDKL wrote:Are you referring to the eye bolt thats on the left hand side of the draw bar?

Hi,
Yes, the eye bolt is at the right front corner of the drawbar when the drawbar is in the front position, when using the plow.
The pics I posted from TM Tractor, showing the plow, show the parts.

You can read the Cub owner's manual, before buying a Cub, and see what a Cub originally looks like.
I don't know what year the Cub in your pics is, but it has the hood used from 1947 - mid 1954.

The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1950 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1950 Cub originally had, up to Cub serial number 115403, which was made during 1950.
IH changed the electrical system then some.
The Battery Ignition unit, and voltage regulator came out then.
If the Cub is newer than 115403, info for the electrical system is in the 1952 and 1955 operator's manuals.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.
Page 2 in the manual shows where the serial number is.
There is an engine serial number, it is different, after the first Cubs in 1947.

The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.
Other manuals can be found at the top of the page at Quick links, then go to PDF Manuals,
or at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals.
There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon May 23, 2022 8:31 pm

I see it has a disk. Make sure it's serviceable cause if you get that plow to work your going to need something to level the field back out.

CDKL

Postby CDKL » Tue May 24, 2022 5:33 am

Thanks for all of the great info thag you guys have shared with me. If I’m able to purchase it this would be my first tractor that I’ve owned. It’s a 1948 according to the gentleman that owns it now and it supposedly comes with the original owners manual