This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just plowed, now what?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chesterbury
Zip Code: 13750

Just plowed, now what?

Postby Chesterbury » Thu May 05, 2022 10:38 am

I just plowed my first field that was covered in grass with my Farmall cub. It made a bit of a mess probably because my plow is missing the coulter to properly cut the sod so half of my rows are only partially turned over or just loose but back upright.

at this point what should I do? I don't have a disc harrow or anything to till the ground. can i just keep running over it with the plow until thing are all cut up or will that make it worse? should i just go over it with a rototiller?

thanks!
-Jasper

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just plowed, now what?

Postby Eugene » Thu May 05, 2022 11:29 am

How big of an area are you plowing? What plants were there? What are you planning for the plowed area?

Herbicide the area to kill the plants. Wait a week. If the area is not to big, rototill.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tractorpoor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27530
Tractors Owned: 26 Cubs (49-79)
Farmall 130
Kabota B7500
NH TC45

Postby tractorpoor » Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 pm

What Eugene said, definitely need to spray and it may need to sit longer. Definitely rototill since you don’t have a disc or maybe borrow a disc.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Thu May 05, 2022 1:03 pm

Jasper,
Here is a fantastic "How to" on setting up the moldboard plow.
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=38411

Plowing with a Loboy is challenging because of the shorter height, you can't plow as deep. The front of the fast hitch bail will easily drag on the surface of the ground, throwing off the orientation of the plow to the ground.

Post some pictures of the tractor with the plow on it exactly how it was set up when you did the work.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu May 05, 2022 2:41 pm

Till it but prepare yourself for a LOT of work! Sod plowed in the spring never works! Always fall plow it if possible! --- the grass will never die and every time you till it up the grass gets thicker! lol! Spray it first ---- wait a couple weeks to see if it turns dead then till and you should be able to plant!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu May 05, 2022 3:22 pm

Ditto on the spraying. I don’t know what kind of tiller you have available, but if it is a walk behind, you’re in for some backbreaking work. I advise finding someone with a compact tractor and 3 point tiller to hire for the tilling. In the meantime, keep your eye out for a disk for this fall.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu May 05, 2022 3:56 pm

The fellers have given you good advice if you don’t mind spraying. I don’t spray, so it’s a ongoing thing for me. Knowing how large an area helps. I plow every fall and plant a cover crop. Then in spring I disc it up and plant. Anything I can do to keep the grass down. I tried plowing sod one spring and discing it up. Once. Never again. That’s hard work all summer long. If it were me, I wouldn’t touch it till after grass dies in winter then plow it. But I live in the south. You may not have that option depending on where you live. Otherwise, spray as suggested and try again
Thomas

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu May 05, 2022 5:41 pm

Looks like you’re in NY state. Good advice from all above. Be looking for a coulter for your plow. Suggest putting a wanted ad on The Vine.

You’ll find fall plowing a pleasure the following spring when the ground is easier to work.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri May 06, 2022 7:42 am

Even with a coulter, Spring sod plowing is a challenge. You make a pass, look back to see half of it roll right back in. Plowing is just the first step, anyway, you always have to have a means of working the ground, after plowing.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri May 06, 2022 8:39 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Even with a coulter, Spring sod plowing is a challenge. You make a pass, look back to see half of it roll right back in. Plowing is just the first step, anyway, you always have to have a means of working the ground, after plowing.

Agreed. I've done both and won't do Spring plowing again (unless necessary). Nice to do it in the Fall and let it winter over. In our Missouri clay, the dirt falls to pieces by Spring and a quick run of the disk has it ready for planting.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 am

How is the Cub holding up /is it working too hard?
How much time and money and hours on the Cub are you interested in?

If you are patient and have time and fuel and maintenance money , you can plow the opposite width of the field. Then diagonally two ways. Then start all over again.
A weighted bedspring can be a drag. You'll have jumbo clods of grass and roots ect. though till it dries.
A small spring toothed harrow runs around 75 dollars in my area.
Without plowing (I mow ground short before harrowing) and over about a twenty yard area was about twenty bushels of roots and dry grass ect. to pull out of the harrow. When it got riding high on top of accumulated debris , a couple bushels was pulled out and then onward to drag some more.....

To be trying to kill growth without spraying. You'll need to drag clumps until friable. Then keep disturbing it very often or stuff will sprout again.
Then , there is what is in the soils seedbank that was dormant under the fallow field and suppressed due to lack of sun.

I don't spray. I do see the value.

Kill late fall area. Then after it'd dead , work the soil.
A week or so later spray again if stuff erupts. And stuff will.
Then work soil again.
Then add a cover crop of annual seed. Winterwheat or winter rye for example. First to suppress spring weed growth. Secondly to help build up organic material. Clover can be seeded with /after the fall rye planting. (A type suitable to your area , and IF your P.H. will support clover). The rye can be a nurse crop for the clover to take off in spring.

Buckwheat alone after all chance of frost in the spring has passed can reduce weed growth too.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri May 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Chesterbury wrote:I just plowed my first field that was covered in grass with my Farmall cub. It made a bit of a mess probably because my plow is missing the coulter to properly cut the sod so half of my rows are only partially turned over or just loose but back upright.

at this point what should I do? I don't have a disc harrow or anything to till the ground. can i just keep running over it with the plow until thing are all cut up or will that make it worse? should i just go over it with a rototiller?

thanks!
-Jasper

Sounds like you plowed too deep. When plowing sod take a shallow cut. Look up "plowing sod" on the net to get a better idea.

No one knows your intentions, but it sounds like you need a disk now.

If you have a tiller or access to one that'll work too!

I am from the camp of do not spray any of the chemical garbage.

You, your family, and the wildlife will end up breathing it and eating it. Maybe you have the genes that might let you drink the stuff, or maybe you (or someone in your family) might have the genes where you'll get cancer by just one whiff of the stuff!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri May 06, 2022 9:05 pm

SamsFarm wrote:
Chesterbury wrote:I just plowed my first field that was covered in grass with my Farmall cub. It made a bit of a mess probably because my plow is missing the coulter to properly cut the sod so half of my rows are only partially turned over or just loose but back upright.

thanks!
-Jasper

Sounds like you plowed too deep. When plowing sod take a shallow cut. Look up "plowing sod" on the net to get a better idea.

No one knows your intentions, but it sounds like you need a disk now.

If you have a tiller or access to one that'll work too!

I am from the camp of do not spray any of the chemical garbage.

You, your family, and the wildlife will end up breathing it and eating it. Maybe you have the genes that might let you drink the stuff, or maybe you (or someone in your family) might have the genes where you'll get cancer by just one whiff of the stuff!
we all eat stuff or animals that have had contact or grown on ground prepped or sprayed with chemical. That is unless you buy all organic and or buy no commercial products like flower or commercial cereals or grains...again stuff that's not organic.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon May 09, 2022 6:39 am

So it sounds like the grass problem is well handled above. I think your next steps are to get a ground sample sent off to a lab for analysis.
Search for "Soil Testing" in your area. This one is quite popular.
http://cceschoharie-otsego.org/gardenin ... g-services

Soil testing can provide the proper direction for amending your soil.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon May 09, 2022 7:37 am

Here’s another soil testing source…
https://extension.psu.edu/soil-testing
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”