This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brakes, AGAIN

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0E3A0
Skype Name: ken.dealmpr
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (sn 26136), named Rosalie

Brakes, AGAIN

Postby CaperKen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:40 am

I've read and viewed a huge amount of material about how to get a new toggle-type brake band onto the brake drum.

It seems that the key lies in bending the metal tab inward just at the point where the lining ends on the longer metal tab.

However, after working on bending that tab one way and then the other for two days, when I get the band onto the drum, the shaft will not turn. And, getting the band to fit on the drum is a terrific effort.

Has anyone put the brake drum on a lathe and ground off maybe a 1/16 inch to 1/8 inch to get the band to fit?

Thanks for any help.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Brakes, AGAIN

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:40 am

This is probably a stupid question, but are you sure the band is being installed correctly? BTDT :oops:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:55 pm

I wouldn't take material off the drum. If the band is too tight, you may need to open it up a bit so the relaxed band is not trying to grab the drum.

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:47 pm

Well you also know the drum is right it's probably been on there since new. So that leaves the bands- where were they sourced? Is the friction material the same thickness as the original equipment? The way things go these days they could be metric since nothing is made here anymore- the thought being what's 1mm you could adjust that out.....

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:45 pm

Hi,
Possible things that could be causing that are the brake lining may be too thick, or the brake band is slightly too small a diameter, if you replaced the band.
Or the parts are not assembled right.

I have put bands with new lining on the drums, they were snug, but went on, and were not overly tight.

Below are pics from TM Tractor of a new brake band with lining, you can look at the pics, it shows the lining thickness they have.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gbr/band2_001.htm

Below is their listing for a new brake band with lining.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/br/362fp.htm

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the newer style brake, the band and linkage only fits one way.
Look closely at how the linkage is assembled.
The pic is the right side.

The 2nd pic shows putting the final drive on the Cub.
Be sure to have both ends of the brake pin in the holes before tightening the 6 bolts that hold the final drive on the Cub. It can break the castings to tighten the bolts with 1 or both ends of the pin not in the holes. :)
Attachments
Cub brake.jpg
Cub brake pin .jpg
Cub brake pin .jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 315 times

CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0E3A0
Skype Name: ken.dealmpr
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (sn 26136), named Rosalie

Postby CaperKen » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Thanks, everyone.

1. Is the lining as thick as the original? I don't know since the original is worn down. But, if it's too thick, that can be the problem. But, what's the solution?

2. I've bent the band and the tab multiple times and no satisfaction. I've watched the YouTube videos by "Surviving Maine on a 20 acre farm" but the band is just a bit too tight.

3. I bought the brakes from Steiner about 3 years ago -- just got to it now. I've just ordered another pair from TM hoping that they will fit better.

4. I'm using new drums.

5. The pins look the same as all photos I've seen. TM Tractor does nice pics.

I'll go back at it and try bending different ways until I get it to fit and not bind the shaft.

Ken

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:25 pm

Here's a "how to", but I think you may already be doing this. viewtopic.php?f=142&t=14715
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein