Distributor gear housing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cubbuilder
Zip Code: 54456

Distributor gear housing

Postby Cubbuilder » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:24 am

Good morning gentlemen, I am disassembling my distributor gearbox (no magneto) for a thorough cleaning and inspection and found oil in the gearbox and not grease? owners manual said it should be greased if Im reading the proper procedure. My gearbox has a tachometer gear so probably not the original gearbox. Can anyone tell me what I should use for lubrication. Seems like it would take a lot of grease to fill. With the exception of the tach gear it looks identical to other cub gearboxes with no magneto. Any thoughts on this?

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1958 Farmall cub final drive

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:28 am

Not sure how this post got split into two subjects!! I'm answering the 2nd one about the distributor.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will come along, but if I am not mistaken, the oil in your distributor could be from the shaft seal leaking, and either the oil from the grease, or actual oil also leaking past the governor seal. Here is the breakdown, showing #23 as the seal retainer:

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Revision%206%20(08-79)/Group%20-%2012%20-%20Power%20-%20C-60%20Engine/Page-28.jpg
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Cubbuilder

Re: Distributor gear housing

Postby Cubbuilder » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Thank you Dale, my fault on the split not an experienced user. My question on the distributor drive gearbox without the magneto is greased correct? and if so it seems the gears would take a lot of grease to fill this cavity? I do see where the distributor shaft gets greased. Any thoughts on the gearbox itself?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:50 pm

Hi,
The Battery Ignition unit is supposed to be greased with a grease gun.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, telling about it.
You will need to find or buy a grease fitting the right size to fit the holes where the plugs are.
The fittings bases are bigger than most of the other fittings on the Cub.
You can use 1 grease fitting and move it to each hole.
They have said on here to put the plugs in when done greasing it, so it doesn't get greased too often.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2041.jpg

It does take some grease to mostly fill the base part of the unit.
Be sure to put in enough grease that the gears have grease on them.

The grease in the base can be old if nobody takes the unit apart and cleans out the grease.

Motor oil can get into the Battery Ignition unit if the oil seal at the drive is leaking, a sort of common problem. The gear on the governor has the drive made on the end of it.
Below is a picture of the drive and oil seal. :)
Attachments
Cub gov gear.jpg

Cubbuilder

Postby Cubbuilder » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 am

Good morning everyone, I did fit the unit with a grease fitting( 1/8 inch pipe thread for the Zerk) and greased the drive housing . It took a lot of grease to cover the gears however that's what the owners manual said to do. Seems an inefficient way to lubricate this gearbox, but as you said Glen oil could probably contaminate the distributor.

Thank you ALL for your help, Bill.