Fast hitch question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kilgore1948
Zip Code: 15470

Fast hitch question

Postby Kilgore1948 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:00 pm

I purchased a 1948 cub with a woods 59 bell mower and it’s great. I was wondering if you can have a fast hitch installed with the bell mower still on? Also what does a complete fast hitch normally cost? And are they worth the money? I will mainly be mowing with the tractor and pulling a small cart but thought about plowing and gardening with it. It’s just fun to operate.
Thanks

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fast hitch question

Postby Glen » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:14 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

The mid mounted rotary mowers I have seen are made for use with either a drawbar, or a Fast Hitch, not for both.
The drive brackets at the rear are different. You can see it in the owner's manuals for the mowers, which are on this website. You get to them at the top of the page, at Quick links.
There are also manuals at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals.

There are Cub owner's and operator's manuals there too.

The Fast Hitch came out in late 1954, at Cub serial number 185001.
IH changed the Touch Control some about then. They made the rockshaft and the rockshaft arms stronger, they are thicker material.
If you aren't going to lift heavy implements or loads with the Fast Hitch, the older Touch Control probably works, people on here use them, I think.

I like the Fast Hitch, it is easy to put a rear implement on, or take it off.

The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1949, and 1948 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The 10 weight motor oil mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made.

Below are pages from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, showing the Fast Hitch.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2018.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2019.jpg

In about later 1956 or 1957, IH changed the depth control lever, to the right of the seat, to a crank, it doesn't stick up, like the lever.
You might find either style of Fast Hitch for sale. :)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:20 am

Kilgore, you are venturing into a realm of rare and hard to find parts. Yes, you can have the mower deck and the fast hitch at the same time but that requires a rare special mower drive setup that you likely do not have. It has a chain drive that clears the fast hitch before switching to a belt drive.

Fast hitches come up for sale in the vine here and there. For the most part folks on this site ask fair prices for what they are selling. They are not looking to get rich unlike what you'll find on craigslist, facebook and especially ebay. Keep your eyes open and bide your time. Just be sure it's complete as sourcing missing parts can end up costing more than you paid for the whole hitch.

Finding the implements can take a while. They're not as common as the mounted implements, so you may be in for a long haul trying to find good implements within driving distance.

It's entirely doable if you look at this like a long term project, but if you're after instant gratification you may be disappointed.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:55 am

Do you have Touch Control on the tractor?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:30 pm

Best bet is keep the 48 as it was made..... As a non fasthitch tractor

Then if you feel the need for a fasthitch get you a newer tractor that has the fasthitch.

My advice is get the hand crank depth control type fasthitch, because the lever type looks like it would always be in the way!

Kilgore1948

Postby Kilgore1948 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:46 pm

Awesome info guys.
I really appreciate it.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (2)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (3)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:55 pm

Here's a Bush Hog 412 belly mower (single blade) mounted on a my CUB LOBOY using a Pennington mule drive (thanks Mr. Bill). I had to custom fab the brackets where the mower fastens to the finals. It does a fantastic job of grass cutting as well as weeds and small stem brush. It's not fast usually 2nd gear for grass. Should work the same on a FCUB. All I had to do is offset the pull bar to the far right side, The FH operates up/down with the mower. No other modifications/changes needed.
57loboy_bushhog412.jpg
FH+mule drive1.JPG

Kilgore1948

Postby Kilgore1948 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:56 pm

That maybe a option but how does the rear support rod from the mower connect? Do you have another picture? On my woods mower there is a rear center support that I would have to figure out how to fab onto the tractor. It looks like a pipe with a pin welded into the end of it

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:09 pm

Woods offered 59” and 42” mowers specifically configured to be mounted on Cubs equipped with Fast Hitch. Your mower may or may not be one of those. There are manuals for the different Woods mower models in the PDF Manuals section. You can compare those manuals with what you have, to determine compatibility. Also, starting in late 1954, IH changed the Touch Control rockshaft to accommodate the Fast Hitch helper spring assembly. Your 48 Cub almost certainly has the old previous style rockshaft. To take full advantage of the Fast Hitch, you would need to find and install the updated rockshaft and bearings.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:59 pm

First up---WHY would you even want a fast hitch???? second up,-- does your 48 have hand lift OR has someone added the hydraulics to it?
You will spend more money on parts, (IF you can even find them) than a cub complete with fast hitch already on it!
Look for a cub with a fast hitch already on it would be your simplest rout to go.
I found that a 3-pt. hitch is WAY more useful than a fast hitch. --- made my own 3-pt for next to nothing.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:15 pm

SONNY wrote:First up---WHY would you even want a fast hitch???? second up,-- does your 48 have hand lift OR has someone added the hydraulics to it?
You will spend more money on parts, (IF you can even find them) than a cub complete with fast hitch already on it!
Look for a cub with a fast hitch already on it would be your simplest rout to go.
I found that a 3-pt. hitch is WAY more useful than a fast hitch. --- made my own 3-pt for next to nothing.

All depends on if you can find fast hitch equipment. I put fast hitch on one of mine and over a few years have collected quite a bit of fast hitch equipment. In my opinion it’s the way to go if you work your cubs and get tired of changing out implements without fast hitch, especially if you’re limited on seat time. Now that I have a fast hitch, I’ve narrowed down my herd to one cub with fast hitch and one without
Thomas

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:35 am

tmays wrote:
SONNY wrote:First up---WHY would you even want a fast hitch???? second up,-- does your 48 have hand lift OR has someone added the hydraulics to it?

All depends on if you can find fast hitch equipment. I put fast hitch on one of mine and over a few years have collected quite a bit of fast hitch equipment. In my opinion it’s the way to go if you work your cubs and get tired of changing out implements without fast hitch, especially if you’re limited on seat time. Now that I have a fast hitch, I’ve narrowed down my herd to one cub with fast hitch and one without

Amen!

I like my fasthitch!

This is not a cub, but you can get the idea behind it!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 pm

It comes down to personal desires! ---- I junked one off a cub and one off a 340 , also one off my 560 and went to 3-pt and never looked back! I can get 3-pt. stuff everywhere,--fast hitch? nothing around here to be had! Everybody got rid of the fast hitches when the tractors were new and went 3-pt!