This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Brakes: toggle or non-toggle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0E3A0
Skype Name: ken.dealmpr
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (sn 26136), named Rosalie

Re: Brakes: toggle or non-toggle

Postby CaperKen » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:59 pm

On the left side of the engine just above the oil pan:
2.24.T and
251341R2 L.

So, the "T" seems to indicate that it is a 1950 rather than a 1948 as indicated on the serial number plate.

I'll have to get the casting codes for the other parts.

But, if the newer brakes began in 1953, that's still not explained.

The hood has ripples on the side.

The brake casting does have the larger openings without the ears and the brakes are the toggle-type.

Maybe I just have a mutt. Sometimes, they are the best dogs and maybe the tractor will turn out to be terrific after a bit more work.

I was able to get the differential shaft oil seal after working it to death with a pry bar. That demolished the seal but I did not scratch the rim at all. I'm just waiting on the seals from TM so that I can get that unit back together and start on the right side.

I'll certainly pay attention to the brake pins.

The YouTube video on Cub final drive/brakes by "Surviving Maine on a 20 acre farm" suggests screwing in long stove bolts with heads removed into the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock bolt holes to help slide the final drive onto the transmission casting.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Brakes: toggle or non-toggle

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:22 pm

CaperKen wrote:.

The YouTube video on Cub final drive/brakes by "Surviving Maine on a 20 acre farm" suggests screwing in long stove bolts with heads removed into the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock bolt holes to help slide the final drive onto the transmission casting.

That's a technique that works in a lot of places. I cut a groove in the end so a screwdriver can be used to remove them. Stove bolts, carriage bolts, all thread, whatever you happen to have in the right size.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”