This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Problem starting my Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Problem starting my Cub

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:38 pm

It could very well be that some corrosion or rust made a previously poor, but functioning, ground into a non-functioning one.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:27 pm

:Dito: Yeah, sometimes we wish these tractors could talk and answer our questions! It's hard to say what has happened in the past but you're well on the way to getting it solved and running again. :tractor: I'm going to wager that once you get the "grounding" issue resolved (that, to me, is the most simple one) you will find that there will be some more issues on the + (pos) side that will need your attention. They're not too difficult, just follow the path from the + pos battery post to the starter post. Where ever the current stops, fix the problem and move on to the next one. That's why a good, verified ground is so important. Once you have proven the ground is good you don't have to recheck it as you move through the + (pos) side. Merry Christmas, Dave, we'll be waiting for your results when you get back to the cub!!! :) :hattip:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

Postby boldpsi » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:46 pm

Everyone,
I just wanted to follow up on the saga of the starter... In short (electrical pun intended), I got it working!
Longer story:
I was able to test the starter with just the battery many times. However I could never get the starter to activate while it was connected to the tractor. I did take some Emery cloth to the surface of the tractor where the starter mounts, both the outside and the inside, and that is shiny metal now.
Then, Christmas hit, and we had to leave home and go to South Carolina. While it was very beautiful and warm down there, I had the Cub in the back of my mind the whole time!
So, when I got back, I repeated the whole process. I tested the starter with just the battery, and it worked. Again I mounted it on the tractor, and it didn't work. So I waited a day and try it again. This time however I could not get the starter to activate with just the battery. So, somehow I broke the starter. Presumably.
I took it back to John at Atlas Electric in Syracuse, and explained the situation to him. He removes the cover from the starter and looked at me and said come back in 45 minutes. So that's what I did! When I got back he explained to me that I had torqued the bolt that you attach the positive cable to and almost completely busted the "field coil" (I think that's what he said). He said he had welded a piece of copper to it to strengthen it and charge me nothing. I left 10 bucks anyway :wink:
So, when I got home, I repeat it all the steps. It worked when I tested it just with the battery. Then I connected it to the Tractor with the negative cable connected to the battery and the jumper cable connected to that same negative cable on the tractor and other end on knob on starter, and the other positive jumper cable connected to the positive post on the battery, and lo and behold it activated the starter while connected to the tractor :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
So, at this point I don't know whether the starter never was completely right when I got it back from him except for this very last time, or whether I had busted that positive connection bolt on the starter every time I try to use it.
At any rate, I do believe now that it is fixed and I'll be putting it all back together tomorrow after cleaning up the whole area where the sitting platform is while I've got it all apart. I think I will also fix the PTO lever, as one of you mentioned in an earlier comment on this post.
Of course, today's success wasn't totally error free! I did manage to finally break the lead terminus on the positive cable of the Cub. It was only hanging on by a thread as it was. However, it is still working for now!
Thus ends the saga... Until next time!!! :surrender:
Thanks, all, for the "positive" vibes, advice, and tender care of this old newbie!
Take care,
Dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Return to “Farmall Cub”