This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New cub magneto coil arrived but

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
waynemo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

New cub magneto coil arrived but

Postby waynemo » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:11 pm

I received the new coil that arrived here 11 days after ordering. I think it was the usps fault as they kept me up on its location from Va to Ohio to Indiana to me in Mo! The coil measured 9 ohms and looks well made by Brillman.
When I put it in the mag with the points and condenser everything I touched showed to be grounded! I took the parts off and made sure they were insulated where they should be. I cannot understand how the insulated parts go to ground when assembled. I am very familiar with how these parts function with a standard coil but I have never worked with a mag. Am I missing something here? I set it aside till I hear from you guys and wonder if the circuit using rotating magnets should be any different from that of a standard external coil!
The lead from the mag coil goes to a terminal block where it connects to an external kill wire along with the condenser lead and then to the moveable arm of the points and then to the grounded contact point.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New cub magneto coil arrived but

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi,
If you turn the magneto coupling, and make it wind, and snap, to check the spark, they have said on here the spark needs to ground to the magneto. It can damage the coil to make it spark with no place for the spark to ground.
Plug a wire into the coil post, and hold it so the metal end of the wire is about 1/4" from the metal of the magneto when checking the spark. :)

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:02 am

Touching anywhere along the primary (small) wire and the casing will show continuity, that is normal if the points are closed. There should not be continuity when touching the secondary (nub on coil) and the casing.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

waynemo
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby waynemo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:26 am

I do have continuity between the coil small wire and the points moveable arm with the points held open or not.
I got 9 ohms from the coil wire to the nub on the coil out of the box. That means the coil has continuity between the small coil wire and the nub measured with the coil out of the circuit by itself so how could I not expect continuity between the nub and the housing when it has the iron bar inserted and screwed to the housing?
There is something I am missing here! Could it be the small coil wire only has voltage when the magnets are rotating? And that would cause the points to function as normal.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:23 am

I agree that you should get 9,000 ohms resistance (check your meter, I bet it is on the "K" setting when you measure 9). However, I don't think you would find actual continuity between the small primary wire (or its end points) and the nub. If your meter has a continuity test, try it. I also agree that it appears the case is connected via the tab under the screw regardless of point setting, which has confused me in the past as well. But you are correct that the primary wire has current only when the armature is rotating in the magnetic field, and when the points open, that electric field collapses, causing the secondary circuit to discharge and spark. Install your magneto and see if it works correctly. DO NOT snap over the magneto without giving the spark a ground to go to, that can burn up a coil.

Edit: I believe you will find that the moving arm of the points is connect electrically to the case only by the primary wire, the pivot is insulated. So when open, both ends of the points are electrically connected to the case, but there is a break in the circuit where the points open, causing the field to collapse.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

waynemo
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby waynemo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:34 pm

I cannot believe the trouble I am having setting the points. I have done this on other distributors all my life and I am 84 now but I should not have so much trouble. Maybe I have the stationary contact misassembled with the parts that hold it.
I have the stationary point fit into the groove and the points line up. Then I have the small piece on with the bent up portion and then a washer with the screw holding it all together. How should the small piece with its bend be positioned? I looked at the photos sent here by Bill V in MD and they are good but not showing these parts enough. Hope he sees this and responds!

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:23 am

Below are some additional photos that show the orientation of the stationary piece.
Ignition Pts 1.jpg
Ignition Pts 3.jpg
Ignition Pts 4.jpg
Ignition Pts 5.jpg
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

waynemo
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby waynemo » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Thanks to bill in md, the photos are worth a thousand words!
I think someone put an extra piece under the screw head in mine. It looks like there is nothing under the screw head on the photos except maybe a washer. Anyway, I see no need for this piece and does not look like it would serve any purpose and would not have anything to do with adjusting the points.
I guess my problem in adjusting the points lies in sliding the points in the machined groove that they fit into with nothing nearby to assist a screw driver to move them back and forth.
This forum is great with folks like Bill and others who know things and willing to help others.

Return to “Farmall Cub”