This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub transmission rebuild questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub transmission rebuild questions

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:15 am

You might find some helpful information from this list.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107072#p849328
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:10 pm

puddlejumper wrote:
Glen wrote:
puddlejumper wrote:The green cub is actually yellow, being brush painted green and the only red showing being on parts that were replaced. It is a '49 with magneto.

Hi,
All 1949 Cubs were red, as far as I know.
I'm not sure if Jim B., or someone has said if there were other colors offered on the earlier Cubs.

It's definitely yellow. No sign of red on the castings or fenders. When I start to strip that cub I'll take photos and post pics. I had read somewhere that IH would paint a cub any color you asked for more $$.

Looking at the picture, I see green, two shades of blue, sliver, and at least one shade of red but looks more like two. The outside of the fender shows yellow and red with the inside green. I'm not sure how to resolve that with the previous statements.

In 1949, Cubs were red. It is true enough that IH would paint tractors other colors for a price. However, it is a kind of overworked statement. The likely scenario would probably be a bid request showing up at a branch office. It would be from some state highway department asking for a bid on 20 or so tractors and specifying that state's official colors. The tractors probably never saw an ag dealer and may have never been through an industrial dealer.

If somebody walked into an ag dealer and said they wanted a blue Cub, the dealer would probably tell them to pick one of the red ones out of the row out front and they'd run it back to the shop and spray it with blue paint.

puddlejumper
Zip Code: 20646

Postby puddlejumper » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:33 pm

Success! One rebuilt cub transmission. Had to use parts from both transmissions to get enough good parts, also installed all new bearings, seals, and gaskets. This cub is for my wife and she wanted a deluxe seat so I replaced the shifter with the appropriate one. Unfortunately it is too cold to paint and I don't have heat in my workshop. I suppose I will work on stripping some more parts and patiently wait for warmer weather.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Attachments
red cub transmission.jpg
-Dave

1948 Cub- this is the 2023 giveaway cub
1949 Cub- Martin
1951 Cub- Couple’s cub
1929 John Deere GP

Return to “Farmall Cub”