This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

brake casting rusted hole

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0E3A0
Skype Name: ken.dealmpr
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (sn 26136), named Rosalie

brake casting rusted hole

Postby CaperKen » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:59 am

Hi -- I'm replacing the brake in the left final drive of my '48 Cub. I found a 1/2 inch hole rusted right through the bottom of the casting that holds the brake. How can that be fixed? Of course, it could be welded but can JB-Weld be used? Since that housing is open to the elements, does it even need to be repaired? Having a hole in the bottom would allow any water to drain out of that housing so is this a left-handed bonus!

Also, none of the fitting gaskets is leaking except for the long rectangular housing below the big gear wheel. I have gaskets for all fittings but should I just leave well-enough alone and just replace the gear cover gasket and follow, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."?

Ken

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: brake casting rusted hole

Postby Rodney51Cub » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:21 am

If your talking about the hole in the casting above the four bolt cover, it is made that way.
Just clean it out.
Picture borrowed from the how to forum.
2-6.jpg
USAF 1976 - 1996

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:30 am

Your pan gaskets for the bull gears , you'll probably change when changing the lube/fluid in them.
Allowing them to leak will affect the lubes amount/level when it sloshes enough. Eventually.

CaperKen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0E3A0
Skype Name: ken.dealmpr
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (sn 26136), named Rosalie

Postby CaperKen » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:40 am

Thanks, so it was made as a drain hole.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Hi,
Yes, the hole in the casting under the brake area is a drain hole, in case water or oil gets in the area.
The brake areas are supposed to be dry, no oil in them.

I would replace the oil seals while you have the final drive off the Cub.
If the seals leak, oil can get on the brake lining.
There is 1 seal in the transmission, and 1 seal behind the brake drum, in the final drive.
TM Tractor has new oil seals for them, they are 2 different sizes.

In your pic of your Cub, the Cub 22 Mower bar is adjusted too far forward, it's leaning forward.
It should be about straight up and down.
If you want to change it, while it is up, like in the pic, hold the top area of it, and pull it towards the rear. The part at the bottom should turn on the round bar, unless it is really tight.
There is a bolt with a nut through a clamp piece there.
After moving the bar to vertical, you could check and see if the bolt and nut are tight.
If the bar won't move to vertical, you can try loosening the bolt and nut to move the bar.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor, the bolt is about in the center of the pic, on the bottom side of the casting. :)
Attachments
Cub 22 mower 16.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”