This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel tank screen

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AHS
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 04428

Fuel tank screen

Postby AHS » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Ok, I have a new screen and glass sediment bowl. The fuel tank screen goes loosely into the glass sediment bowl, enough to fall out. The fuel tank screen has some directions with it and the directions say “ installation is on the tank side of valve”. So, what do I do?? The directions are kinda vague. There a rubber grommet in the tank, I think?…

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel tank screen

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:49 pm

This is the way that the sediment bowl assembles. Excuse the slight lack of focus.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure what you meant.
The screen goes above the gasket in the metal part of the strainer.
Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual, showing the strainer.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2025.jpg

Maybe you meant you bought the small screen that goes in the intake hole in the strainer. IH didn't use them on the Cub that I have seen, but some people use them.

AHS
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby AHS » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:27 am

Maybe it doesn’t go in there! I got it from steiner, and it looks like it should go into the top of the fuel bowl, but it does not. (Is very loose and it fall out). I just wanted to be extra precautions on putting fuel in there!
Attachments
23918754-AF54-4263-B364-E4F849FC701F.jpeg

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:22 am

What you are referring to is an accessory, add on screen, from Steiner tractor. The problem is that not all sediment bowls have the same size opening. I had one that was loose, like yours, I soldered the stem to make it larger for a better fit.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:01 am

In addition to Gary's method, here is my approach to installing the screen you have. http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=98978

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:18 am

Gary Dotson wrote:What you are referring to is an accessory, add on screen, from Steiner tractor. The problem is that not all sediment bowls have the same size opening. I had one that was loose, like yours, I soldered the stem to make it larger for a better fit.

Isn’t it better to allow any small particles or debris that gets in the gas tank to flow into the sediment bowl where it is visible and can be dumped periodically rather than to trap it inside the tank with this extra filter? Seems like it would only make sense if you had large particles of junk in the tank which seems unlikely, unless you have bigger issues with the tank.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:32 pm

lyle11 wrote:Isn’t it better to allow any small particles or debris that gets in the gas tank to flow into the sediment bowl where it is visible and can be dumped periodically rather than to trap it inside the tank with this extra filter? Seems like it would only make sense if you had large particles of junk in the tank which seems unlikely, unless you have bigger issues with the tank.

Lyle,

More than one fuel starvation problem has been caused be debris plugging/restricting the inlet to the sediment bowl. Grass clippings, bugs and other stuff has found to cause the plugging. This eliminates that problem. Cheap to do and effective.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:47 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
lyle11 wrote:Isn’t it better to allow any small particles or debris that gets in the gas tank to flow into the sediment bowl where it is visible and can be dumped periodically rather than to trap it inside the tank with this extra filter? Seems like it would only make sense if you had large particles of junk in the tank which seems unlikely, unless you have bigger issues with the tank.

Lyle,

More than one fuel starvation problem has been caused be debris plugging/restricting the inlet to the sediment bowl. Grass clippings, bugs and other stuff has found to cause the plugging. This eliminates that problem. Cheap to do and effective.

Bill

Bill, That makes sense if your tank is contaminated with larger debris like grass and bugs. I’ve only mowed with belly mowers and rarely have grass clippings on the top of my tank. I’m sure there is a scenario where there is chaff blowing in the air like out on a dry hayfield or swarms of bugs when you’re filling up.

Thanks to you helping me with your tool, my gas caps fit tight. I don’t see a need for it for my tractors with the way I use them short of me being sloppy with the gas cap off. But, I’m sure based on usage and less than ideal conditions when filling the tank this can prevent blockage and be useful. I have the luxury of time to keep things clean where not everyone can do that.

Thanks

AHS
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby AHS » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:35 am

I see both your points. I do like Bill Hudson’s idea though!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:27 am

Sometimes you just need one of those screens, it can be a real problem solver.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:05 am

I may have over simplified my installation of that screen in my Cub tank. I just wrapped a little aluminum foil around the stem of the screen and "screwed" it into the top of the shut off valve assembly. Just enough so it was snug. It's been working great for 3 yrs without coming loose or dislodging. By the way, this is on a working tractor that l mow with. 4 hrs at a time, at least once a week from Apr-Nov.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:36 pm

I never had anything like that on any of my tractors,--cubs or other models/brands. I want the crud to come down into the glass bowel so I can dump it out and not start eating the bottom of the tank out!