This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Light bulb problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jimerjam
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall cub

Light bulb problem

Postby Jimerjam » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:49 pm

So I recently installed some new lightbulbs after the old ones burnt out, I thought the old ones burnt out because I accidentally used the 12 volt setting on my battery charger, but this time they burnt out after about an hour of use, and they did not just burn out, the posts that hold up the filament in the bulb melted, so it has something to do with the electrical system on the tractor itself. Curiously the rear bullet light did not burn out, only the front lights. I need help fixing this problem

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jimerjam

Re: Light bulb problem

Postby Jimerjam » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:51 pm

The tractor is 6 volt, and there where some Weird brown stuff stuck to the filament posts, filament, and rolling around the bulb.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:34 pm

From your previous posts, I understand you have a '48 Cub with the original charging system. If so, your generator has a cut-out mounted on top of the generator (rectangular box with a couple wires attached). Please verify that.

If the above is correct, and you have a WORKING charging system. If you have a bad (possibly intermittent) connection for the battery, it could cause the bulbs to blow out. If the lights are turned on when the battery connection fails, voltage from the generator can go nuts and blow the bulbs.

For this scenario, the bad connection is probably somewhere between the starter switch and the ammeter.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:39 pm

also check the charging rate with a voltmeter, if it is overcharging a lot that could happen, make sure you good grounds also

Jimerjam

Postby Jimerjam » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:15 pm

Thank you, I think you may have solved the problem, today when I was out driving, I came back to grab some lunch, when I came back out the starter would not turn, it turns out that somewhere along the ride, the negative terminal on the battery came out, considering I had the lights on for a portion of that ride... Well you made me out 2 and 2 together, turns out my own stupidity broke the bulbs yet again.

tim52
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95677
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1956 Farmall Lo-boy

Postby tim52 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:35 am

The “brown stuff” is likely solder flux from the bulb posts melting. It can be cleaned off with rubbing (methyl) alcohol.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:28 am

Jim Becker wrote:..... If you have a bad (possibly intermittent) connection for the battery, it could cause the bulbs to blow out. If the lights are turned on when the battery connection fails, voltage from the generator can go nuts and blow the bulbs.......

I can personally verify this, bought a Farmall H a few years ago and got ready to drive it home. Wouldn't turn over a lick, so we jumped it and I drove it home (still had a magento). Turning into the drive way it was getting dark so I turned on the lights. I had three camera flashes go off in rapid sequence. What I didn't know at the time was there was a battery disconnect that didn't get turned on. The generator was pumping out it's max 30-40 volts or whatever with no where to go because of the open battery cutoff, until I turned on that light switch. :shock:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:21 pm

I did a little testing on my 49 with original cutout once. With battery disconnected, on low charge at about 2/3 throttle I was showing 31 volts. Needless to say I did not run it long, and I did not try the high charge position.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”