Choke lever question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bullmack
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 98498

Choke lever question

Postby bullmack » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 am

My '49 cub has an IH carb. The choke lever that is on it is pictured and it's cracked. (left side, at the bottom of the slot) I bought a replacement lever from TM and the hole for the choke shaft is too large. I would also note that the choke shaft on my carb is splined on the lever end. Any help to procure a correct fitting choke lever would be appreciated. I plan to try some JB weld to repair the crack on my lever, however, crack is through and through.
Attachments
IMG_4621.jpeg
IMG_4621.jpeg (43.18 KiB) Viewed 237 times
1949 Farmall Cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Choke lever question

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:46 pm

The slot at the top of your lever in the picture should be the same width as the short, narrow slot at the bottom. I really doubt that JB will be strong enough to hold that together when you tighten the bolt on the shaft. The choke shaft should have splines. You might be able to shim the TM lever with some narrow strips of pop can.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi,
Below is the listing at TM Tractor for a new choke lever, it should fit like they show in the pics.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/522fp.htm

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of an original style choke lever on the choke shaft.
The lever usually has to be in about this position when the choke valve is fully open, if the choke rod is the original length.

The 2nd pic below shows how the choke rod fits, it should be slightly above the Touch Control tubes.
If the rod rubs on the tubes, the engine vibration can wear it into the tubes over time.
If the rod is too low at the tubes, increasing the bend in the pic will probably raise it up.
You probably need to remove the rod to bend it. :)
Attachments
Cub carb.jpg
Cub.jpg

bullmack
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 98498

Postby bullmack » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:53 pm

I have the TM choke lever. The metal closes together at the screw before it closes tight on the choke shaft. The only way I can make it work will be to open up the gap at the screw or possibly wrap the shaft with something to make it's diameter larger.
1949 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:59 pm

One side of my choke lever broke off. Drilled a small diameter hole through both sides below the break. Inserted a small bolt, lock washer, and nut.
I have an excuse. CRS.