This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What all do I need to crank start?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What all do I need to crank start?

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm

You said that the tractor sat for 30 years and that it had good compression. What were you compression test reading? Reason I'm asking is that I doubt that you have good compression on all cylinders.

Magneto, no spark, and wanting to change the condenser. Just wipe the points, cleaning off any corrosion and check again. Don't change the points and condenser - - YET.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:32 pm

Wire from coil goes through an insulating (and sealing sort of) , rubber grommet.
Your points ride on an insulating piece of material too ,so not to ground them out. That piece can break easily by overtightening the base's tiny fastener.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 pm

If it sat for 30 years, there’s no way I’d try cranking it with hand crank. File the points, clean the carb, prime the oil pump, check the oil and water, then I might try pulling it to start or put battery on it to start. If you do try to start with hand crank, pay attention to the video someone shared a link to on a cub. Do not try to start it the way the guy is starting the B in the other video. And don’t try turning the crank swiftly as suggested. Give it a good hard pull on the upward stroke of the crank being careful to keep your thumb on same side of crank as your fingers
Thomas

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:50 am

Completeihnut wrote: getting fuel but no spark.. IT DOES HAVE A MAG - H-4. With help from Jim Becker got to points which look good. Want to replace and do condenser while I'm there but cannot get it out..

Have removed the cover, the bake lite insulator but there is an inside insulator that I'm cannot tell whether it should go in the hole or come out. Also the coil wire is connected to it. what is the best way to disconnect that.

Lot of questions but rather get info before ruining something that I can no longer get parts for.

Couple of notes. A Cub should be using a J4 magneto, as stated earlier. I've seen one running on an H4, so it is possible. But an H4 has much more total advance, so the timing will be somewhat impossible to get correct at both idle and high speed. In your case with a Cub that hasn't run in quite some time, you would be better off with the correct magneto; I'd at least give up on the idea of hand cranking until that has been corrected.

Also, an H4 condenser has a "clamp" on the far end, away from where the wire is connected. That needs to be loosened before the condenser can be removed. All of this is much easier with the magneto off the tractor.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”