This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Moving Oil Pressure Gauge (but not to dashboard)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Moving Oil Pressure Gauge (but not to dashboard)

Postby lyle11 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:46 pm

I moved the oil pressure gauge to the dash on my FCub years ago. I recently started also using a Lowboy. I can’t see the oil pressure gauge and I miss that. But, my dash is full. I have never owned a motorcycle and know nothing about them but, when I searched for oil pressure gauges online, I saw a gauge with an L shaped mounting bracket where the oil line passes through it and and a nut secures the gauge to the bracket. The other end of the bracket is fastened to the motorcycle.

I was wondering if I could use a similar type of setup with a modified bracket fastening it to the rear of the dashboard to hood screw (using longer screw in location near the starter pull). I don’t care if the gauge says IH on it. I just would like a visible gauge.

I didn’t see this in my search but I’m wondering if anybody has done this. Or, is there too much vibration for this type of less rigid setup for the oil line to hold up.

Alternatively, has anybody moved the oil gauge to a visible location that isn’t in the dashboard?

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Moving Oil Pressure Gauge (but not to dashboard)

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:05 pm

One of my Cubs came with a piece of steel tubing attached to the block and bent so it went up beside the tank and a gauge was on the top of the tube. A clip was added to the existing bolt on the right side of the tank. I thought I had previously posted a picture of it, but am not seeing it now.

Edit:
You can almost see it with these two pictures.
viewtopic.php?t=90024#p713383

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:06 pm

When installing the factory style hour meter kit it has the added attraction of moving the oil guage over and outward making it much easier to see.

Click on image for a larger view.
1948 Farmall Cub-328s.jpg

1948 Farmall Cub-331s.jpg
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:33 am

I mounted a gauge to a flat piece of sheet metal and then ran hard line to the gauge.
This is on a numbered lowboy so you may not have the same mounting options.
GaugesAdded-Small.jpg

GaugesBack-Small.jpg
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Now I just need to figure out what parts I need. The Cub I moved the gauge to the dash years ago is located at my other place, so it’s not convenient to look at it. But, it seems like I used a brass fittings that were, I believe, 1/8 NPT into the engine and brake line with a ferrule on the other end. I see copper line kits, and I realize this isn’t for gasoline, but I’m sure mine is a steel brake line between brass fittings.

For the gauge, if I buy a gauge that’s designed to install into the dash, with the bracket, I’m thinking that must have a nut in the middle to fasten the bracket and the oil line connector protrudes through that. Seems like then I can make a bracket. I just want to make sure the oil pressure gauge I buy has a way to fasten a bracket to it. I don’t think TM sells this style but it seems like a gauge intended for a dash mounted gauge would work.

On my Lowboy, there is a truss head screw in the hood at the edge just above the filter housing that holds a has a clip for the wire harness. I’m thinking I should be able to bolt my bracket and oil gauge here and it would be visible without a long run line.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:45 pm

radioguy41 wrote:When installing the factory style hour meter kit it has the added attraction of moving the oil guage over and outward making it much easier to see.

Click on image for a larger view.
1948 Farmall Cub-328s.jpg

1948 Farmall Cub-331s.jpg

Looks like you have an electronic gauge as well. I see a sending unit branched off.

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:15 pm

Nope, that would normally be the switch for the hour meter but I used it to control the exciter for the alternator.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:08 am

Many of your bog standard auto parts store oil pressure gauge kits come with a mounting bracket for the gauge that hold the gauge by the bezel. Couple of strategically placed self-tappers, and Bob's your uncle.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Many of your bog standard auto parts store oil pressure gauge kits come with a mounting bracket for the gauge that hold the gauge by the bezel. Couple of strategically placed self-tappers, and Bob's your uncle.

I saw a lot of brackets and holders online. I was hoping to find something simple and similar to a coil bracket for a 2” diameter gauge but a little heavier metal with an appendage on it that I could bend to the shape I need and bolt under the edge of the hood/dash. I’m not seeing anything that matches up with what I hoped to find. I think I’ll just take Radio Guy’s approach minus the hour meter and use a few common fittings to move the gauge maybe 3” to the right and a little higher. I can barely see it on this Lowboy when I lean to the right to look. I’d like to have it closer but my primary issue is that the view is obstructed. Plus, I’m using this Lowboy for the first time after a decent amount of repairs so I’m in a mindset where I’m hoping everything I replaced holds up so I’m looking at things like oil pressure more.

I have a relatively new gauge from TM on this Lowboy but the pressure reads low. The engine however has a lot more power than my FCub engine. This one has a decent about of blowby but I just started using it after owning it for several years. It finally is getting worked hard mowing so maybe that will be good for it.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:54 pm

Adding some Seafoam to the fuel and oil while mowing may improve the smoking.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”