Starter won't turn over, checked "everything" so now I'm lost

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ballardde
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Starter won't turn over, checked "everything" so now I'm lost

Postby ballardde » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:41 pm

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. After trying all the suggestions here (which I'm sure helped overall) turns out the problem was with the solenoid switch. I bought several new ones and none of them worked. The contact in the switch was not low enough to make contact with the starter terminal. I cleaned up the old switch and got it started. Not sure what the problem with the new switches was but not contacting correctly was the problem. The new switches were listed as compatible with a Farmall Cub so not sure.....

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:59 pm

Where did you buy the switch?
Thomas

ballardde

Postby ballardde » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:39 pm

One from Amazon and another from a tractor supply.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:55 pm

ballardde wrote:One from Amazon and another from a tractor supply.

Next time buy from Tm tractor, a forum sponsor. I can’t speak to the one from Amazon, but the tsc ones are cheap made junk.
Thomas

ballardde

Postby ballardde » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:41 pm

Will do

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:05 am

I suspect that the nub on the starter is worn down and the old switch wore down with it from use, which is why it can reach and a new switch can't.

Whether the one from TM is any different is up for debate. Unless they had a line on a large supply of NOS switches that they're still selling from, they are likely getting their new switches from the same source as Tractor Supply and Amazon. There just isn't enough demand for this kind of stuff to have multiple factories competing with different levels of quality. Someone buys them by the container full out of China and distributes them to the various vendors who (sometimes) repackage and sell them.

ballardde

Postby ballardde » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:45 am

The two "new" switches did not work with my old starter or with a new one I bought. Old switch works with the old starter, go figure.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:57 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:I suspect that the nub on the starter is worn down and the old switch wore down with it from use, which is why it can reach and a new switch can't.

Whether the one from TM is any different is up for debate. Unless they had a line on a large supply of NOS switches that they're still selling from, they are likely getting their new switches from the same source as Tractor Supply and Amazon. There just isn't enough demand for this kind of stuff to have multiple factories competing with different levels of quality. Someone buys them by the container full out of China and distributes them to the various vendors who (sometimes) repackage and sell them.

My suggestion came from experience. Unless they have changed suppliers, the switches at Tm are much better quality. I had same problem poster had. New switch didn’t work from tsc. Switch from tm worked great
Thomas