This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

buying a well maintained cub vs a basket case

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
getitrunning
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 37881
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1948 w mower
Farmall Cub 1949
super A w/cultivators
super A w/woods 59
cub low boy 154
cub cadet 1864
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel

buying a well maintained cub vs a basket case

Postby getitrunning » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:09 am

I was overjoyed, excited when getting this newest cub to me, a 49 with woods mower. I knew it needed a few things right off the bat to get it up and running, not my first trip to the rodeo. Not quite a basket case, The $1200 initial investment seemed like a bargain. Right off the bat spent about $400 for a set of manuals, a new battery and the parts I knew that it needed.
Now after straightening out the fuel line and carburetor, replacing starter switch and battery box, putting the air filter pipe back on with new hose pieces.getting into changing the fluids. I'm realizing it needs a whole lot more. seems all the seals and gaskets are leaking just about everywhere they can leak. Someone in the past painted it poorly, new paint right over the old grease. Front spindles are welded together and steering tie rod is cracked. And then the engine, lots of blue smoke, but at least it run smoothly.But it should probably at least needs a set of rings, might as well make it right back to factory spec if going that far. on rating of 1-10, I'd rate this cub a 3 or 4 maybe.
My biggest stumbling block is not having a flat or concrete floor anywhere on my property to work on and split it in half to replace the seals that are leaking. I guess I was having delusions of grandeur even looking into buying the best paint possible to restore this thing, putting the cart before the horse, maybe?
What got me into this quest for an old farmall with mower was the need to get mowing done around the place. and not wanting to spend $8000 on a mower that might last 10 years.
A thorough search through the internet and I've found a much much better looking cub low boy, probably from the 50's with mower, very well kept without all the leaks and looks to be in about a 7-8 condition, $2500. I'm on the fence, do I drag my trailer 180 miles to look at this thing and give it a test drive?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: buying a well maintained cub vs a basket case

Postby Waif » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:46 am

Choices and decisions. (!)

I'd keep after the 49. See if the rings loosen up and seat better after running some seafoam in your fuel. Easy does it though.
Lots of carbon can be reduced over time , or lots at once. Having experienced lots at once , I lean towards more time and smaller dosages of seafoam....
Seals may have sat long and dried , or are shot completely. Unless heavy or dangerous leaks I'd watch fluid levels and run it a bit.
Detergent oil run in previously non-detergent engines can cause leaks too.

Bargains are dicey propositions.
One must always consider why someone would sell them a good horse cheap.

The things about the lowboy that comes to mind is that first it's a lowboy.
Probably great for mowing , but how much a match do you want to allow your 49 to be a parts donor in a pinch?
Including ignition type. Making for less spare parts on hand if you have duplicate systems , with an eye for having anticipated parts on hand before being needed.

To each thier own , I care little about how my Cubs paint looks. I'm more concerned about them firing up when I'm ready , then working.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:55 am

The Loboy may need more than meets the eye. If you finish what you have you may have more than $2,500.00 in it but at least you will know what you have. A bit of advice, forget buying paint until the tractor is repaired to your liking. A pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic

Postby Mht » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:51 pm

The oldest cubs out there are 70 plus years old. The newest are 40 plus years old. Unless one has been completely gone through they are going to have problems. I personally buy 2-300 dollar parts cubs and then build a cub back to like new condition. I’ll barely be able to get my money back if I was to sell them. I’d never get my time back. I think that is the situation with any cub out there. I personally think you are better off with the devil that you know versus the devil you don’t. I’ll bet money that that 2500 dollar cub will be a 3000 dollar plus cub by the time you get it and get every thing right on it. Your 1200 dollar cub will be a 2000 dollar plus cub by the time you get it right. My 2-300 dollar parts cubs that I start with turn into 1600 dollar cubs by the time I start using them but I know exactly what I have. But I also have the tools and skills to turn a pile of parts into a sound useable tractor and I enjoy doing it. And by the way my shop is barely big enough to hold all my tools so almost all of my tractor rebuilds are done outside on non level ground. Covered level concrete is great if you have it but not necessary. If you enjoy old iron just keep plugging away at it. If you don’t then spend your money on a commercial grade mower, maintain it well and it will serve you much longer than 8-10 years. My regular grass mowing duties are done with a 1989 kubota g5200 diesel mower which still runs and mows great and has required very little outside of regular maintenance but it wasn’t cheap even way back then.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm

getitrunning wrote:A thorough search through the internet and I've found a much much better looking cub low boy, probably from the 50's with mower, very well kept without all the leaks and looks to be in about a 7-8 condition, $2500. I'm on the fence, do I drag my trailer 180 miles to look at this thing and give it a test drive?
My opinions. (1). $2500- is high even if the advertisement is 100% accurate. (2). I wouldn't drive 180 miles, I assume one way, to kick the tires on a tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:05 pm

Once you buy it and get it home you must commit. Or clean it up and sell it and move on to another one. My 52 fcub with four new tires/tubes/rims, rebuilt engine, was $1,500. With snowplow. It needs, driveshaft, while it’s apart all new seals, pto spline shaft, clutch since it’s apart.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:47 pm

I agree with all of the replies. "The Loboy may need more than meets the eye." Agree with Barnyard here. You never really know until you dive into it. Spit and shine hides a lot of sin.

It's not expensive to to a frame in build on the motor. New main and rod bearings, hone cylinders and new piston rings (cross your fingers everything is still in tolerance).

"Unless heavy or dangerous leaks I'd watch fluid levels and run it a bit." I totally agree with Waif. See what she does. I love my 49. Great little tractor. Mows as good as my riding mower

Nothing wrong with looking ahead to paint and such. It's your dream of what the final product will be like. Keeps a guy motivated. Good luck!
WV Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”