cub IH carburetor gas line fitting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
getitrunning
Zip Code: 37881
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949
super A
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel
Gravely L

cub IH carburetor gas line fitting

Postby getitrunning » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 pm

my first time posting on this site

ive got this new to me 1949 cub ands it came with the inexpensive farmall clone carburetor on it. its leaking real bad, so I bought a new one just like it for $99 from yesterday tractor rather than spend $50 on a carb kit that may or may not fix the problem.
the one that came with tractor has what looks to be a 3/8" male pipe thread to 1/4" female pipe thread adapter threaded into the inlet port.
with a 1/4" rubber hose barbed fitting into it. this fitting I believe was forced into the threads and just isn't how it should be.

can anyone tell me what type of fitting belongs in the original IH carb inlet port.
the 3/8" pipe thread is not it and don't want to bugger up new carb. Is original inverted flare? or something else?

Barn1018
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 73801
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub,1958 F cub, 1955 Farmall 100, 1968 Int Cub, 1968 Cub Loboy converted to LowRider Parade Tractor
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub IH carburetor gas line fitting

Postby Barn1018 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:31 pm

The original threads are 1/2-20.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub "Bernie" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm

You can save your old carb and helicoil that inlet...then you'll have a spare!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Welcome to the forum. Seldom does an IH carb need a complete rebuild kit (clone carbs often needs adjustment right out of the box), a thorough cleaning, adjusting the float rise and drop, installing a new gasket between the top and bottom, and/or flattening the top will be all that is needed. As for your old carb the inlet threads can be helicoiled and be as good as new. Carb parts, by-the-piece, are available at http://www.mcdonaldcarb.com. Good folks, very knowledgeable and great to deal with.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:47 pm

I have one here that needs inlet thread repair---- excellent carb otherwise. need source for the repair kits, IF available.

getitrunning
super A
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel
Gravely L

Postby getitrunning » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:55 pm

ok I went to the tm tractor parts web site and from everything I saw there it is a compression type fitting. I tried to place an order but nothing would go into the shopping cart.
are they affiliated with this site? is there a phone #

figure I might as well get a new fuel line, picture showed correct fittings on each end of it.

in the past with other old tractors I've worked on ive cut rusted fuel lines an inch or so from fitting and used rubber hose and worm gear clamps
but unfortunately that was at another place in another time and I no longer have lots of surplus old parts around.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:13 pm

TM Tractor is one of the sponsors of this site. After you select the quantity and click add to cart on their website, you should be able to check out or view cart. Not sure why this is not working for you. Also their phone number is listed at the bottom of the check out page (207) 892-0163.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

getitrunning
super A
Yanmar 1500D
Belarus 525
Ford 4000 1962 Diesel
Gravely L

Postby getitrunning » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:14 pm

thanks, just got off the phone, new fuel line on the way. might as well put it back the way it should be.
gives me time to drain fuel tank and get it flushed clean. I've yet to even shine a flashlight in there. just hoping it does not need a Kreem treatment

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi,
People have said on here that some of the new reproduction IH style carburetors for Cubs need the float level set before they will work right.

Below is info about cleaning the IH carburetor, and setting the float level.
If the carb is new and clean, just use the info about setting the float level, and float drop.
You could check the needle and seat, there could be dirt in them making it drip.

People have said on here that the IH carburetors on their Cubs didn't work right until they set the float level exactly.

You have to take the carb apart to set the float height, and float drop.
When taking it apart, pull the 2 halves of the carb straight apart several inches, there is a small idle tube that screws into the top half of the carb, it can break if you twist it, or don't pull the 2 halves straight apart.

Clean the carb with spray carb cleaner, or soak it in carb cleaner, if you have that. All the passages need to be open and clean.
Blow them out with compressed air, and be sure they are open. Use your safety goggles when using the air.
The needle and seat could have dirt in it, making it not seal. Remove the float and the needle and check for dirt, clean the needle and seat.

Remove the main jet on the lower side of the carb and clean it. Use a small wire in the end of the jet and be sure the hole is open. Wash the jet after using the wire.
If the gasket on it is old, it may not seal well if you reuse it.
I have used a small amount of sealer on the gasket to make it seal.
Tighten it gently, it can break tightening it hard.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has new IH carb parts, if you need any.

Check the float, it should look in good condition, not dented or corroded.
It should feel light, with no gas inside it. Shake it gently while it is off the carb, and be sure it has no gas in it.
If the float is in good condition, it can be used again.
If it looks bad, or has gas in it, it should be replaced.
Assemble the needle and float again.

Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing setting the float height.
The IH carburetor is in the upper pics on the page, the Zenith carb, which was used on Cubs beginning in mid 1975, is in the lower pics.

To set the float level, turn the top half of the carb upside down, like the pic of the Zenith carb, in the lower right of the page.
The gasket between the halves has to be off, when measuring the float level of the IH carb.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-09.jpg

Bob McCarty converted the measurements to use a dial caliper, it is easier.
The float level is 1.4"
The float drop is 1.6"

The stop on the float arm has to face up.
Sometimes the float is upside down.
Put it in the right way, if it is upside down.
Bend the float arm between the float and where the needle touches it, to change the float height.

Turn the top half right side up to set the float drop.
Bend the stop in or out to change the float drop.

When putting the carb together, be sure the float fits straight in the lower half, and doesn't hit the sides of the lower half.

The needle and seat could be wornout from use, and don't seal, then the carb can drip on the ground when the Cub is sitting.
If it doesn't work right after setting the float height and drop, the needle and seat might need replacing, if it floods, or drips.
The IH carb has a small screen where the gas line attaches to the carb, be sure it is clean.
Tighten everything on the carb gently, the IH carb is soft metal, and threads can strip.
The carb top can warp if the screws are tightened too much.
TM Tractor, at the bottom of the page, has new carb parts.

Below are pages from the Cub parts manual, showing the IH carb.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-12.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-13.jpg

I have found the mixture screw on top of the carb usually needs to be open about 1 - 1 1/2 turn.

Cubs have a manual choke, you have to use the right amount of choke when the engine is cold, until it warms up, so it runs good.

Below is a pic of an IH carb float from TM Tractor. :)
Attachments
Cub float.jpg
Cub float.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 186 times