This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front mounted spray tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Front mounted spray tank

Postby Mht » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm

It seems that my post has caused a lot of confusion as to what I want to do. My cubs have a front hitch receiver mounted to the two bolts holding the axle pivot pin in place. I believe many of you also have this setup as it’s a great way to maneuver trailers around in tight quarters. I figured if this was strong enough to move trailers around it was probably strong enough to carry some weight even over rough terrain such as a field. I know liquid is heavy and that is why I asked how big a tank I could safely mount on the front. Maybe I should have just said tank instead of spot sprayer. Whether I use a hose and nozzle or a spray boom or just a couple on nozzles mounted on the rear cultivator arms has no bearing on tank size. Thank you Shane and Dave to your response to the question I was really trying to get some advice on. If anyone else has any experience with a tank mounted to a front mounted receiver hitch on their cub I would like to hear what size tank you have and how it’s has worked for you. Thanks to all who have posted but I’m really only concerned with weight ie.tank size

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Discussion above and beyond the exact answer to the exact question asked usually brings to light things that you didn't think of.

Let's say for example that the direct answer to your question is a 200 gallon tank. Okay, so you install a 200 gallon tank, proceed to fill it up with water and spray, then go out and spray 1/4 acre. Now you've got 197 gallons of spray hanging off the front of your Cub and nothing to do with it.

Your intended use is important to the answer to your question here. Maybe your need is small enough that the capacity of the hitch is irrelevant?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:17 pm

Mht wrote:Enough to carry some weight even over rough terrain such as a field.
You have side to side slosh. Number of gallons/weight sloshing around is a consideration.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mht » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:27 pm

The sloshing around was something I was definite thinking about. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a baffled tank in the 15-40 gallon range. I don’t have a tank on hand to use so if I proceed with this project I will be buying a tank. I have moved trailers with as much as 400 pound tongue weight with the front hitch in my cub but that was for short moves on smooth level ground. It would be nice to have a tank larger than 15 gallons but it’s not absolutely necessary. I feel that the 120 pound water weight of a 15 gallon tank should not be a problem but if anyone has that or possibly a 25 gallon tank that is mounted like I’m thinking about I would like to hear your thoughts on it

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:51 am

I think your outa luck about someone else with the set-up your thinking about.

Nothing left to do but try it and see, or not risk it!

I know that the way that casting looks under there, it looks weak, but I dont think any of us know what the fail safe capacity is!

When (and if) you get it set up, please post some follow up pics for the rest of us!

And if it ever breaks, please update with that too!

:tractor:
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mht » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:27 am

I’ll do that. I have decided I’m going to mount a 15 gallon tank on the front just because that seems to be the most common size sold as spot sprayers and therefore I can buy one cheap. I am planning on just a couple of nozzles mounted to my cultivator arms so I can spray right in the row while I cultivate and let the herbicide get the weeds that the cultivator can’t get close enough to. It will probably be this fall before I have time to get it built but I will certainly follow up with the good, the bad, and the ugly of whatever I end up with.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:43 am

You can purchase a boom for the 12 volt, FIMCO, 15 gallon sprayer tank.

I have a 15 gallon FIMCO tank and boom. Owned, guessing 30 years. Only had to replaced the electric pump.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:44 pm

15 gallons is plenty!---trust me on that!

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mht » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:29 pm

That depends on what you are spraying. I can easily go through 30 gallons of water and roundup spraying road edges, field edges and around my ponds in a single round of spraying at my farm. And that’s all spraying with a single nozzle spray wand. When I’m spraying grass killer in my clover food plots with a boom I can spray way more than that. With that being said I’m going to use the cub mounted sprayer in my vegetable gardens and most of the time 15 gallons will be plenty.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:35 pm

I believe Sonny means that 15 gallons is plenty to be carrying on the front not how much is needed to do a job. That obviously depends on the job at hand.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:52 pm

Go organic and save yourself the trouble! :)
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mht » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Barnyard I’m sure you are correct. Sorry about that Sonny. I would love to go organic but here in NC with our long growing season I have not been able to make that work, not even in my smaller garden in town and definitely not at my farm. I know I don’t need to keep all the weeds out but pigweed, Johnson grass, and Bermuda are too pervasive to control with cultivation only. If you have any secrets how to make it work I’ll love to here them

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Mht wrote:I would love to go organic but here in NC with our long growing season I have not been able to make that work, not even in my smaller garden in town and definitely not at my farm. I know I don’t need to keep all the weeds out but pigweed, Johnson grass, and Bermuda are too pervasive to control with cultivation only.
Not an option in the Ozark hill country either Trying to eliminate or set back invasive species: several types of thistle, eastern red cedar, honey locusts, and MULTI-FLORAL ROSE.

What I do know is that I can spot herbicide spray and kill individual plants. Let more desireable plants repalce them. If I don't herbicide spray, the invasive species will rapidly take completely over the acreage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mht » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:15 pm

That sounds like my situation with Johnson grass. If you mow it you spread seeds, if you plow it you spread rhizomes, if you don’t do anything it spreads on it own. Even spraying it takes several years to get it out of a field and then you still have to stay on top of it or it will return. Kudzu is easier than Johnson grass to get rid of

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:21 pm

Mht wrote:Barnyard I’m sure you are correct. Sorry about that Sonny. I would love to go organic but here in NC with our long growing season I have not been able to make that work, not even in my smaller garden in town and definitely not at my farm. I know I don’t need to keep all the weeds out but pigweed, Johnson grass, and Bermuda are too pervasive to control with cultivation only. If you have any secrets how to make it work I’ll love to here them

I have thistle you could borrow some of ...... For two three years I gained the battle manually , then things came up , as did more thistles.

I don't spray. (Ya , it's tempting.)
A guy elsewhere uses a "wiper" to brush weed tops with herbicide. Kinda like a horizontal round wick.
That's dependent on crop , but most of the variety he is growing , the weeds get a jump in spring so are taller and make for good targets.

Return to “Farmall Cub”