This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Cub plug wires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
zig79
Zip Code: 63385

1949 Cub plug wires

Postby zig79 » Mon May 24, 2021 6:59 pm

Please understand that I am not a mechanic, so much of what I am asking is learning on the job. I need to know how to wire my spark plugs to the proper location on my distributor. I took mine off to replace them with new ones and, well you can guess the rest. I have them out of order. Can someone please help? Photos would be an added plus. Thank you.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1949 Cub plug wires

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon May 24, 2021 7:38 pm

If you have 2 posts you can download the original manual from this site and it lists all the info you want and more.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon May 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi,
In one of your posts you have a pic showing your Cub has a magneto, with a replacement coil mounted lower than the magneto, so the original coil in the magneto is not being used.
The post for the original coil is on the top cover of the magneto, the post is open in your pic, because the spark plug wire is going to the newer coil.

A Cub magneto originally has the post for the spark plug wire for number 1 cylinder at the top on the magneto cap.
Sitting behind the magneto, facing forward, the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2, going clockwise around the cap.

Number 1 cylinder is at the front of the engine, 1, 2, 3, 4, going from the front to the rear of the engine.

The Cub owner's manual has info and pics about the magneto. :)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue May 25, 2021 12:45 am

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1949 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

It has magneto info on pages 30 - 32. It shows how to get to, and replace the ignition points, and set their gap. The points get burned from use, and the engine won't start good, or run good if they are burned enough.
It shows how to time the magneto to the engine also.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has new points and condensers.

The 10 weight motor oil mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says to also.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Tue May 25, 2021 5:47 am

In the future I would suggest that you label the plug wires with a piece of tape or maybe a label maker. It makes replacement much easier.
The service manual on this server will show you the cable routing.

NJ Farmer

Return to “Farmall Cub”