This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to the site

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kcinwv
Zip Code: 24740

New to the site

Postby kcinwv » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:19 am

I had a Farmall 100 that I traded off about 10 years ago but kept the 2 way plow and disk. Recently I started searching for a receiver pocket for the quick hitch. I ended up finding a 53 cub that was about to be scrapped. I hate to see old iron scrapped so now I am the owner of a 1953 Farmall Cub with disk, cultivators and possible a cutoff saw. The saw might have been stolen because it wasn't where the owner thought it might be.
The engine is stuck so I filled the crank case with ATF last night. As soon as the spark plugs are loose I will add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the cylinders and let the tractor soak for a few months.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: New to the site

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Awesome! In no time you just might be riding your cub around!

I am glad you saved it from the scrap monster! :)
Last edited by SamsFarm on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:26 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:23 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your Cub, but now that you’ve logged your 2nd post, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home Don't forget to prime the oil pump before starting.

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Would also invite you to Harrison, OH in June for the Barnyard Bash, one of our biggest CubFests of the year. It's about 5 hours from your location in Princeton, WV. Info located here:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=109089

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

There is a 1952 Cub operator's manual at the top left of the page at Quick links, then go to PDF Manuals, then Farmall Cub, then Cub Owners and Operators Manuals, then the manuals are listed on the page.
I can't post it directly on this page, I think.

The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

It shows the electrical system that a 1952, and 1953 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The Touch Control fluid recommended in the manual was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check or change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid level with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made.

The oil pump can lose it's prime sitting, then if you run the engine, it may not suck oil up again.
Running the engine with no oil pressure can damage the engine.
Below is a link to a post I made about priming the oil pump, my post is about half way down the page.
:)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765&start=60

kcinwv
Zip Code: 24740

Postby kcinwv » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:29 pm

SamsFarm wrote:Awesome! In no time you just might be riding your cub around!

I am glad you saved it from the scrap monster! :)

I don't have any urgency to get it running soon. With my luck I would do some expensive damage. Once I get the spark plugs out and reduce the possibility of other weather related things I will let it sit for several months. I am concerned about the starter generator and carberator getting lost so I might take them off and get them taken care of. I live in an area that has several rebuild shops if I need them.

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum from Charleston, WV! We keep our two Cubs at our place in Fayetteville, WV.
Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am

Nice on the save.....I got my 47 out of a field..I did check and the engine was free...had a soup can over the exhaust,so that saved it....take your time freeing it..sounds like ya on the right track.....I paid $400 for Krusty....little bit of time and $$$$$ great tractor now!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”