This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How tight should TBO rotate in Yoke

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

How tight should TBO rotate in Yoke

Postby lyle11 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:39 am

I’m just about to recouple my Cub after replacing all of the clutch components with new parts from TM. I’ve read most of the numerous threads on this topic. Bearing was soaked in frequently warmed oil for 8 days and greased with “cheap” grease. New yoke from TM pivots freely but has almost no side to side play. TOB centered. Fingers adjusted as recommended.

I feel pretty good about it right now. My only question has to do with how much exertion it should take to rotate the TOB in the yoke. At this point it stays in place when I move the yoke. But, I can rotate it easily with one finger. I’m not sure if once the tractor is running if it is best initially to have it a little tight due to vibration once the tractor is running and moving.

I know this is a hard question to answer without feeling the fit.

My question is:

Is it better to have it a little stiff when first installed expecting it to loosen fairly quickly as it gets used?
It stays in place now. It’s by no means loose, but rotates pretty easily and I’m wondered if after a fairly short period of use if it’s prone to loosen some so having it a little tight initially is a prudent approach.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How tight should TBO rotate in Yoke

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:28 pm

A snug fit is good, It sounds like it should be fine as it is now.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Thanks Gary. I didn’t really want to take it out but figured now is the time to ask.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:07 pm

I did think of one other question. My TOB came pre-greased from TM. After soaking it in oil and installing it, I figured I should squirt a little of my black general purpose Walmart grease in just to make sure grease comes out the top hole. White colored grease came out which is what TM used. I put 3 pumps of my grease.

I have read to not mix grease. Maybe that’s just what the manufacturer puts on the cartridge so you’ll always look to buy the same brand of grease. Since I now have introduced my new grease should I grease it until I see my black grease emerge from the hole? Or, in this application is that unnecessary.

Thanks

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:30 pm

Most of the concern about mixing types of grease has to do with mixing additives used in various brands. The cheaper the grease, the less the concern about mixing. It shouldn't matter in this application.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:57 pm

you want cheap grease in the bearing, it needs to melt so the graphite can absorb it, good grease does not melt so the bearing fails from the graphite being dry, I soak the new bearings for a least a week in oil before using them

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 am

Thanks.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi,
Be sure the throwout bearing is held snugly by the holder, squeezed in from the sides.
If it turns too easily in the holder, the top of the bearing can flop forward, and rub on the pressure plate fingers.
Adjust the bend of the holder, if needed, so it holds the bearing snugly.

I would check the holes in the holder.
The holes in the holder can wear, then it becomes too loose, and can move up and down, or side to side.
The holder shouldn't move up and down or side to side.
The pin at the top of the holder can wear too.
TM Tractor has a new holder, if the Cub has the newer style external adjustment, and pin, if the parts are worn.
The holder is different for the Cubs with the internal clutch pedal free play adjustment.

The top of the holder should be almost as wide as the space at the top of the clutch housing, where the pin is, so the holder can't move side to side.
The bearing should be centered on the 3 pressure plate fingers. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”