This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Cub hydraulic problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Larrydriskell
Zip Code: 39074

1949 Cub hydraulic problem

Postby Larrydriskell » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 pm

After breaking a cub in half to rework the engine, clutch,pp, etc then why does my lift not work when I put it all together again with new fluid. It worked fine before. Any help appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1949 Cub hydraulic problem

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm

Did you cycle it 10-12 times to remove air and then recheck the fluid level?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Larrydriskell

Postby Larrydriskell » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:24 pm

I did cycle it at least 12 times but didn’t check fluid level. I have the tractor back apart for now. Getting the rear main seal and retainer fixed by Tim. When I get it back together I will try that again and check fluid level. How much fluid should it take to have full with no air in the system? Thanks Larry

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:39 pm

You got a number of responses and some questions in your introduction post HERE.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34 am

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1949 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The 10W motor oil mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control, was changed later to use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.

Page 62 has instructions for checking and changing the Touch Control fluid.
Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4, to remove the air from the system.
The arms should go through their full travel.
Stop the engine before filling the system the last time, with the arms in the rear, or down position.
Always check the fluid with the arms in the rear or down position.
The fluid level rises as the arms go to the rear position.
The Touch Control has an airspace in the top of it, if you fill it with the arms ahead, it will have too much fluid in it.
The system holds about 3 1/2 Pints of fluid when changing and refilling the fluid.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can search for posts that have been made. :)

Larrydriskell

Postby Larrydriskell » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm

I’m still having problems getting my lift to work on this cub . The lift arms were in the up position and I couldn’t get them down to fill the system as per the manual. I fill the system and it only held less than 3 pints. Crank the engine and work the lever back and forth as it says and nothing. I finally got the lift arms to move to the rear or lower position. When this happened prolly a half pint of oil came out the filler hole. Oil level is at the bottom of the filler hole now. Let it set for a while and cranked the engine and the lift still doesn’t work. Maybe since I now have the lift arms down maybe I need to drain and start over. It worked fine before I broke in half to do other work. Any help is much appreciated.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 pm

Possible clogged orifice. Read my comments in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110123

Return to “Farmall Cub”