This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adjusting Cub drive belt

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Adjusting Cub drive belt

Postby Ian D » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi, last year I completed the restoration of my 1955 French Cub to concours condition and I am now in the process of re-assembling it after having it all painted. When I tension the drive/fan belt, the belt is not in line with the crank pulley.
Is it a case of slackening it off slightly until it remains in line?
I believe about 3/4" of slack is about right.. is this correct?
Why does the belt go out of line if the belt is too tight? Is it because the fan mount bracket/fork is unsupported?
(All the concerned parts are new and from TM Tractor Parts)
Thanks in advance
Regards
Ian
Scotland

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Adjusting Cub drive belt

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:30 pm

Do you have the washer on the fan shaft on the correct side of the fork? Is there any chance the crank pulley is not fully seated?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ian D » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Hi Bob, yeah the washer is on the front side of the mount, nut on the nearside in the slot
Regards
Ian

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi,
Yes, the 3/4" looseness is ok. It shows the tension in the Cub operator's manual.
Below are pages from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, for USA Cubs.
You can look in the French Cub operator's manual, if there is anything different.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-25.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-26.jpg

Below are pics from TM Tractor showing the washer on the fan shaft, it is thick.
The 1st pic has the generator drive pulley yours probably has, but the 2nd pic shows the washer more.
The 2nd pic has the 1st style gen pulley, they are smaller.
You said the washer is in front of the slot.

If someone didn't put the front crankshaft pulley fully on the shaft, it would be forward from where it should be.
It has to be installed until it hits the gear on the crankshaft.

Don't buy too short a fan belt when replacing the belt.
The new fan belts I buy at Case IH make the fan shaft a little less than half way up the slot.
They don't use the bottom part of the slot, except to slide the fan down, when replacing the belt.
I have seen on here it can make problems with the generator drive pulley position, being too low, if the fan belt is too short.

If the nut at the rear of the slot doesn't fit good in the slot, it might make a problem like you said above, the fan assembly might not stay in the right position in the slot.
I think I saw a Cub that did that before. :)
Attachments
Cub fan 3.jpg
Cub fan .jpg

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ian D » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks Glen, much appreciated. I will have another look tomorrow, I didn't measure the play in the belt so I will re-check it and adjust it if necessary and see how it looks. Thanks again
Regards
Ian

learaviator
Zip Code: 86406

Postby learaviator » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Just fought the too short of a fan belt issue.....this is what fits perfect and centers the fan nicely in the shroud. 31" long
Attachments
IMG_2003 (1).jpg
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”